- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- UCL Modern Languages League Table Information
- Public Engagement in SELCS
- Made In Italy Evening Classes
DUTCG502 - Advanced Translation (Dutch into English)
Value: 30 credits
Tutor: Professor Jane Fenoulhet
Assessment: Final translation project consisting of 3,000 words translation and 2,000 words commentary (70%); and one 2 500 word essay (30%).
There is also a 15 credit version of this module (DUTCG502A). Please contact the course tutor for further information.
The module comprises translation techniques, translation analysis and translation practice involving a range of texts. Normally students work on two translations at any given time, preparing a first draft of one while revising the other in the light of feedback. Feedback on final versions is given both in class and in individual tutorials. In addition there is a collaborative translation project with the Dutch Writer in Residence and students from Cambridge and Sheffield. This project involves the use of Moodle and videoconferencing. Since the module also aims to introduce students to translating as a profession where strict adherence to deadlines is essential, we aim to replicate this as nearly as possible.
At the end of the module, students will have practised translation skills; developed insight into professional translating; used ICT tools to work collaboratively with others; and honed their presentation skills.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Boase-Beier, Jean & Holman, Michael (eds). The Practices of Literary Translation. Constraints and Creativity. Manchester: St Jerome, 1999.
- Eco, Umberto. Mouse or Rat? Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2003
- Hatim, Basil & Munday, Jeremy. Translation. An Advanced Resource Book. London: Routledge, 2004
- Hervey, Sándor, Ian Higgins & Michael Loughridge. Thinking German Translation.London: Routledge, 1995.
- Mossop, Brian. Revising and Editing for Translators. Manchester: St Jerome, 2000
- Munday, Jeremy. Introducing Translation Studies. London: Routledge, 2001
- Newmark, P., A Textbook of Translation. Hemel Hempstead: Phoenix ELT, 1995
- Nord, Christiane, Text Analysis in Translation. Amsterdam: Rodopi,1991
- Robinson, Douglas, Becoming a Translator. London: Routledge, 2003
- Samuelsson-Brown, G., A Practical Guide for Translators. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters, 1995
- Taylor, Christopher, Language to Language. A practical and theoretical guide for Italian/English translators. Cambridge: CUP, 1998.
A detailed resource list will be handed out in class. Please note that there is also a 15 credit version of this module with code DUTCG502A. This is taught in one term only. You can contact the course tutor for further details.