- The School
- Tutors and Officers
- Departments & Programmes
- Staff A-Z
- Who should I contact ...?
- Prospective Students
- Start of Term
- Undergraduate Degrees
- SELCS Writing Lab
- Masters degrees
- Research degrees
- Postdoctoral Research
- ELCS modules
- Personal tutoring
- Student resources
- Staff intranet
Novel and Therapy: How to get better through reading and writing. Joyce, Svevo and Beckett.
Course code: ELCS6054
Tutor: Dr E Palandri
Mode of Assessment: 3 hour desk examination
Term: taught in Term 2
The course will investigate: 1) the relationship between Joyce and Svevo at the beginning of the twentieth century in Trieste 2) Beckett's attitude towards the legacies of Joyce and his contribution to modernism.
We will read Italo Svevo's La coscienza di Zeno (The consciousness of Zeno), parts of Ulysses by James Joyce and Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett. We shall assess
the influence of psychoanalysis in early twentieth century fiction and the way modernism absorbs a variety of influences from different sources to shape an epoch of new narrators.
- Italo Svevo, The Consciousness of Zeno or Zeno's Consciousness (any edition)
- James Joyce, Ulysses (Penguin)
- Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot (any edition)
Initial Secondary Bibliography:
- Freud, S., Introductory lectures to Psychoanalysis (Penguin)
- Knowlson, J., Damned to Fame, Samel Beckett (1996)
- Furbank, Philip, N., Italo Svevo: The Man and the Writer(1966)