National Student Survey
Final-year undergraduate students are asked to complete the 2014 National Student Survey (NSS) this term.
What is the National Student Survey?
The survey takes only a few minutes to complete. It gives you the opportunity to voice your opinions and provide invaluable feedback about your degree.
The survey takes place annually, for (almost) all final-year undergraduates across the UK.
What will the NSS ask you?
The survey looks asks you to comment on:
- The teaching on your course
- Assessment & feedback
- Academic support
- Organisation & management
- Learning resources
- Personal development
- Overall satisfaction
- Student Union
How are the results used?
- The NSS results are made publicly available to help prospective students make informed decisions of where and what to study.
- UCL is provided with the anonymised data to help us identify areas where we are doing well, as well as areas for development, for the purpose of improving the student learning experience for future generations of students.
Your opinion counts!
A few examples of the way in which SELCS has responded to your comments are:
- establishing a three-week turnaround for marking and online marking;
- establishing informal pre-UG SSCC Departmental meetings at which students can air concerns and bring them, if appropriate, to the SSCC;
- demonstrating to students at UG SSCC meetings that their concerns, particularly those raised in SSCC meetings are addressed; at each meeting, the SELCS UG Tutor and the Director report in turn on each action point from the minutes of the Committee’s previous meeting;
- providing generic and specific advice on essay writing technique and other aspects of assessed work, including examinations, via the Writing Lab’s one-to-one sessions and group seminars;
- appointing additional full time academic staff to understaffed departments;
- providing financial support to student-led social events;
- facilitating and funding field trips.
- Ipsos MORI should have recently sent you an email inviting you to take part in the survey
- You can also complete the survey at www.thestudentsurvey.com
- Your responses to the survey are anonymised
£1000 up for grabs
Once you have completed the survey, come to one of the SELCS Department offices or SELCS Undergraduate Office before the end of Term 2, where you will need to sign your name on a register.
The registers will be forwarded to Rob Traynor, who, as the UCL Quality Assurance Co-ordinator in the UCL Registry, is responsible for the management of the UCL NSS return. Mr Traynor will pick at random 5 names from the attendance sheets and the lucky winners will receive £200 each.
Just one catch (there’s always one). SELCS must achieve a 72% return from its students. So please make sure you complete the survey, and encourage your friends to do the same.
Online or mobile
You can now complete the NSS online or via your phone/tablet:
- Go to www.thestudentsurvey.com
- Follow the link in your email invitation
- Scan the NSS QR code with your phone
Please contact Karin Charles in the first instance.
Thank you in advance for helping us by completing the survey!