Study Abroad at SELCS as an Affiliate Student
SELCS welcomes students from colleges and universities around the world who wish to gain credit for modules taken at UCL in order to graduate from their home universities.
Students from abroad who spend a period of study at UCL via an Erasmus, Exchange or Junior Year Abroad (JYA) scheme, or following an independent application, are classed as 'Affiliate Students'.
Benefits of studying at UCL
- Study alongside UCL and international students, benefiting from UCL's world-class teaching system and renowned academics.
- Have the flexibility to take modules across a range of UCL subjects and departments, tailoring your module to your own particular interests in this area.
- Have access to your academic Personal Tutor (known as an ‘Affiliate Tutor’).
- Be encouraged to integrate into UCL student life, with access to events, societies and clubs both within SELCS and across UCL.
- Benefit from the prime London location and resources through the surrounding libraries, museums and institutes.
As an Affiliate student you will:
The School of European Languages, Culture & Society (SELCS) is a UCL department teaching Dutch, French, German, Italian, Scandinavian Studies and Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies. Affiliate students are able to choose from a range of modules covering literature, linguistics, history, sociology, philosophy, art, film and other aspects of the cultures associated with the languages taught in SELCS.
Period of study
Students can apply for a full academic year or one semester:
- Academic Year = Term 1 + Term 2 + Term 3
- 1st Semester (September start) = Term 1 (autumn term)
- 2nd Semester (January start) = Term 2 (spring term) + Term 3 (summer term)
UCL academic calendar can be found here. Please note that UCL International Student Orientation Programme (ISOP) takes place in the week preceding the start of term.
In SELCS we admit students in both September and January in three different categories:
• SELCS as first or only named home department:
Students must take 50% of their modules in SELCS. The other 50% may be taken in SELCS or in other UCL department(s), subject to space and prerequisites. IMPORTANT: SELCS does not manage module registration outside of this department and cannot guarantee places in other UCL departments.
• SELCS as second named home department:
You must take 50% of your modules in your first named department at UCL and 25% within SELCS. The remaining 25% may be taken in other UCL departments (including your first named department and SELCS), subject to space, prerequisites and any local regulations of your first named department.
• Affiliate students from other UCL departments:
We welcome students from a wide variety of departments and disciplines across UCL to SELCS modules, subject to space and any prerequisites. Information on how to request modules can be found here.
Programme of study
While at UCL, Affiliates follow a programme of study to the same credit level as regular UCL students. This comprises:
- up to 120 UCL credits (60 ECTS / 32 US credits) in an academic year, or
- up to 60 UCL credits (30 ECTS / 16 US credits) if studying at UCL for one semester.
You may well find that during your studies at UCL you are expected to undertake significantly more individual and independent study outside of classes than you are used to. As a result, you may also have fewer classes per week than at your home institution.
- Instructions on how to apply can be found here. Applications are submitted to and processed by the central UCL Registry (Admissions).
- To check your application status or ask questions about the process (including visa queries) please e-mail UCL Admissions via email@example.com or call +44 (0) 20 3108 4400.
- If you are looking to apply as an Erasmus or Exchange student, please check your university has an appropriate agreement with SELCS department at UCL. Before students apply, partner universities should submit a list of nominated students to SELCS office via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Module registration and further information
Affiliates in SELCS:
Affiliates registered in other UCL departments:
We look forward to welcoming you at SELCS!