Study Abroad at SELCS as an Affiliate Student
SELCS welcomes students from colleges and universities around the world who wish to gain credit for modules (courses) taken at UCL in order to graduate from their home universities.
Students from abroad who spend a period of study at UCL via an Erasmus+, Exchange or Junior Year Abroad (JYA) scheme, or following an independent application, are classed as 'Affiliate Students'.
Benefits of studying at UCL
As an Affiliate student you will:
• Study alongside UCL and international students, benefiting from UCL's world-class teaching system and renowned academics.
• Have the flexibility to take modules across a range of UCL subjects and departments, tailoring your module to your own particular interests in this area.
• Have access to your academic Personal Tutor (known as an ‘Affiliate Tutor’).
• Be encouraged to integrate into UCL student life, with access to events, societies and clubs both within SELCS and across UCL.
• Benefit from the prime London location and resources through the surrounding libraries, museums and institutes.
The School of European Languages, Culture & Society (SELCS) is a UCL department comprising six language sub-departments: Dutch, French, German, Italian, Scandinavian Studies and Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies. Affiliate students are able to choose from a range of modules covering literature, linguistics, history, sociology, philosophy, art, film and other aspects of the cultures associated with the languages taught in SELCS.
Programme of Study
While at UCL, Affiliates follow a programme of study to the same credit level as regular UCL students. This comprises 60 ECTS (32 US credits) in an academic session or 30 ECTS (16 US credits) if you are here only for semester 1 (term 1) or only for semester 2 (both term 2 and term 3 respectively).
You may well find that during your studies at UCL you are expected to undertake significantly more individual and independent study outside of classes than you are used to. As a result, you may also have fewer classes per week than at your home institution. Attendance on all classes at UCL is compulsory.
In SELCS we admit students in both September and January in three different categories:
• SELCS as first or only named home department:
You must take 50% of your modules in SELCS. The other 50% may be taken in SELCS or in other UCL departments, subject to space and prerequisites.
It is important to note that SELCS does not manage module registration outside of this department and cannot guarantee places in other UCL departments.
• SELCS as second named home department :
You must take 50% of your modules in your first named department at UCL, and 25% within SELCS. The remaining 25% may be taken in other UCL departments (including SELCS and your first named department), subject to space and prerequisites, and any local regulations of your first named department.
• Affiliate students from other UCL departments:
We welcome students from a wide variety of departments and disciplines across UCL to SELCS modules, subject to space and prerequisites. More information on our module registration process for non-SELCS students and relevant contact details can be found here.
If you are looking to apply as an Erasmus or Exchange student, please check your university has an appropriate agreement in place with UCL SELCS. Before students apply, partner universities should submit their nominations to SELCS Study Abroad Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be e-mailed to the central UCL Admissions Office, via email@example.com. To check your application status or ask questions about the process (including visa queries), please e-mail the Admissions Office or call +44 (0) 20 3108 4400.
- Apply as an Erasmus student
- Apply as an Exchange student (non-Erasmus)
- Apply as a Junior Year Abroad (JYA) or an Independent student
Module registration and further information
- Undergraduate (UG) SELCS Affiliates
- Postgraduate (PG) SELCS Affiliates
- Erasmus+ Documents and Transcripts (UG & PG)
We look forward to welcoming you at SELCS!