Apply Now
Frequently Asked Questions
Student Views


Tel: +44 (0)20 3108 3206

Applying for postgraduate admission to UCL

Frequently asked questions

What is a transcript?

A transcript is a breakdown of module/course results for an overall qualification (i.e. Bachelor's degree, Master's degree). This document should be provided by your university at your request and provides Admissions Tutors with in-depth information regarding your academic performance.

What happens if I graduated a long time ago and transcripts were not issued then?

If you graduated from a UK university over 20 years ago then a certified copy of your degree certificate will suffice.

Do I need to submit my A-Level/GCSE certificates?

GCSE and A-Level certificates are NOT required as part of the graduate admissions process.

My degree certificate/transcript is in a language other than English. Do I need to send in an officially translated copy and if so, who should I get to translate my transcript?

Any transcripts, certificates or references provided as part of your application must be in English. Official translations must be verified by your original university, a solicitor or official translation service such as that provided by the British Council (British Council website). Translations must also be accompanied by a certified copy in the original language.

I am a final year student and do not have a complete transcript, what do I do?

You should provide a transcript of your marks to date.

Do I have to use the envelopes provided with the paper application?

The envelopes provided are for your convenience and the convenience of your referees. As long as any official documents are submitted in sealed envelopes which are signed across the seal by the referees then these documents will be accepted.

There were no envelopes with the application form I downloaded, what should I do?

Downloaded applications do not include envelopes as these are only provided with hard copy application packs distributed directly from UCL.

Do both of my references need to be academic?

One of your references must be academic but the other may be from an employer or colleague who has worked with you closely. References may not be submitted from family members or personal friends.

Is it OK to submit my application if it is missing 1 or 2 references / transcript / IELTS/TOEFL Score?

You are strongly encouraged to only submit a hardcopy application when you have all accompanying documentation.  If you do submit an incomplete application you will be notified via post (in the form of an acknowledgement letter) if any items are missing when your application is received. Please send any further supporting documentation to Admissions as soon as possible with your name and the programme you are applying for clearly marked on all paperwork and, where known, your application number.

In the case of online applications, you must attach a transcript and if applicable IELTS/TOEFL score.  Your referees will upload their reference directly to your application via a secure website (you will not be able to view the reference).  UCL will only receive your application once both references have been uploaded.  More information on the online application process is available at:

I am a former UCL student; do I need to provide references and/or transcripts?

If you completed your Bachelor's degree with UCL, you are required to submit your transcript with your application, unless applying to the same department where you undertook your undergraduate studies. The same applies for references if the referees are employed by UCL in the department to which you are applying. Please note that this does not apply to Laws applications and all LLM applicants must submit a transcript regardless of where it was obtained.

I have been asked to take an English language proficiency test, do I really need to take the test?

Yes. If your first language is not English and you have been requested by UCL to take an English language proficiency test, then you must obtain the required grades. Failure to do so will prevent you from studying at UCL. Please refer to English Language Requirements for full information.

I took an English language proficiency test several years ago; do I have to take another one?

English language qualifications and test results are required to have been awarded no more than three years prior to the proposed date of enrolment. If you took a test more than three years ago and you have not been working or studying in English since, you will be asked to provide a more recent test result.

Is there an application fee?

There is no application fee for applying for graduate programmes at UCL unless you are applying to the Eastman School of Dentistry or the Slade School of Fine Art.
How and when can I expect to hear back from UCL regarding my application?

Upon receipt of your complete application, UCL will send you an email acknowledgement which will indicate the date by which you can expect to receive a response. The date given will normally be seven weeks after your application has been processed by the Admissions Office. Where there is a deadline for a programme of study, you may not hear until after that closing date, even if you applied some time before this. Please remember that any correspondence posted overseas will take longer to reach the destination.

What type of fees will I be charged (Overseas/UK/EU)?

An assessment of fee status is made if an application for admission has been successful. Notification of fee status is included with the formal offer of admission. For UCL’s policy on fee status assessment, please see

What are the opening hours for the Admissions office?

The Admissions office on Gower Street is open Monday to Friday between 9.30am and 4.30pm, except public holidays and UCL Closure Days.

Do I need to contact Admissions to check if my application has been received?

The receipt of every application is confirmed via email. Please note the Admissions Office is currently receiving very large numbers of applications and consequently there are delays, however we will process your application as soon as possible.  If you have waited longer than 5 weeks for your acknowledgement, please telephone Admissions on +44 (0)20 7679 7742/7381.

Is it acceptable to write the personal statement on a separate sheet of paper or must it be written solely on the application form?

UCL will gladly accept personal statements submitted on separate paper either typed or handwritten. Please make sure any extra documents are clearly labelled with your name and the programme you are applying for, and please ensure that it is securely fastened to the main application pack. There is no limit to how much you write in your personal statement but for Master's applications you are advised to keep your text to a page.

Can I include a CV in place of or as well as the work experience section of the application form?

A CV can be used in place of the work experience section or as extra information. However, applicants are advised to give a brief description of their current or most recent role in this section and then refer to the CV for further information.

Can UCL email/courier my offer letter to me?

UCL cannot email or courier any official documents to applicants. However, UCL is happy to prepare a package for collection by courier that the candidate must arrange and pay for. Alternatively, on request, a copy of the document can be faxed to the candidate direct from UCL.

If I want to apply for another programme, can I use the same application form and/or references?

If you wish to re-use an old hardcopy application to UCL then the Admissions team will gladly oblige providing the original application was made within the previous 12 months. If an application is any older then a new application should be submitted to reflect any new developments that have taken place within that time.

I was rejected last year but want to try again this year, can I resubmit that form? Will it count against me if I was rejected last year?

Previously rejected applications can be resubmitted provided it is within one academic year of the original application. However, you are advised to update your application if reapplying to the same course as previously.

Is it possible to defer my application and if so how do I go about this?

If you have been offered a place on a programme at UCL but wish to defer your place for a year you must submit this request to the Admissions office in writing. Fax, email or postal requests will be accepted and the request is then forwarded to the department to which you have applied for their consideration. A decision is usually made within 4 weeks and you will again be notified by post. If successful, a new offer letter for the following year will be sent to you in the post.


Can I nominate a sibling/parent/friend to liaise with UCL on my behalf regarding my application?

Due to the Data Protection Act 1998, Admissions staff are unable to discuss the details of an application with anyone but the applicant themselves. Nevertheless, UCL understands that it is often difficult for an applicant to liaise directly with UCL due to working hours or time differences if overseas. If you cannot get the information you need via email, you can nominate someone to act on your behalf but you must provide Admissions with signed, written confirmation of this decision. The person acting on your behalf should also be given your application number to be quoted in any correspondence with Admissions.

Can you correspond via email regarding the process of my application?

UCL sends acknowledgement of receipt of your application by email, all other official correspondence regarding applications is sent by post or air-mail if the candidate is situated overseas. Please note the decision letter cannot be communicated by e-mail.

Is it possible to retrieve my original documents after the application process is complete?

UCL retains unsuccessful application documents for one academic year prior to them being destroyed. Documentation for successful applicants is scanned and the paper documentation destroyed immediately after enrolment. Therefore, you should send certified copies rather than submit any irreplaceable originals. UCL is also unable to return references unless the referee has specifically expressed that they are willing to allow an applicant access to such information.

Back to postgraduate taught programmes

Page last modified on 24 oct 10 09:35