Department of Security and Crime Science
- Home Page
- About Us
- Research and Consultancy
- Short Courses
- Postgraduate Taught Programmes
- Postgraduate Research Programmes
- Student handbook
- Contact Us
- Careers and Vacancies
- Jill Dando Institute
Master classes for all
Next date TBC
21 May 2013
23 May 2013
2 July 2013
4 July 2013
COURSE IS FULL!
8-19 July 2013
23-26 September 2013
8 October 2013
Next date TBC
- Launch of JDiBrief - bitesize briefing notes on crime, security and analysis
- Research bulletin: understanding the crime fall
- MSc Open Evening - 14 Scholarships
Target Choice During Extreme Events : A Discrete Spatial Choice Model of the 2011 London Riots. Criminology.
Peter Baudains, Alex Braithwaite and Shane D Johnson (2013) More...
Lisa Tompson and Kate J Bowers (2013) More...
Justin Kurland, Shane D. Johnson and Nick Tilley (2013) More...
Elio Marchione and Shane D. Johnson (2013) More...
Dr Jyoti Belur has recently had an article published in Qualitative Research (DOI: 10.1177/1468794112468474) More...
Dr Hervé Borrion
Deputy Director, Doctoral Training Centre
Dr Hervé Borrion is a Lecturer in Security and Crime Science. He developed a strong interest in the application of sensor-based technologies, which led to the award of a doctoral degree in RADAR signal processing from UCL.
In 2005, he joined the department where he has been helping to bringing together a community of academics in the engineering and social sciences around various security projects. His research interest lies in the application of systems modelling techniques to security, and the enhancement of security risk assessment for counter-terrorism and organised crime. He has recently been awarded two European research grants for carrying out projects on resilience of infrastructure and building security (£4m,PI), and surveillance systems for crime prevention in refugees camps (£3m). He was the founding director of the MSc in Countering Terrorism and Organised Crime and the MRes Security Science, and is now the Deputy Director of SECReT. He is a visiting scholar at the Centre for Public Safety Research in Tsinghua University (Beijing).
• The role of protection measures and their interaction in determining building vulnerability and resilience to bioterrorism, Taylor J. , Margaritis D. , Nasir Z. A., Borrion H. , Lai K.M. , J Bioterr. Biodef., 2013 (accepted)
• A tool-target based approach for simulating a terrorist attack, T. Le Sage, H. Borrion, S. Toubaline; Technologies for Homeland Security,
IEEE Conference on - 13 November 2012, Waltham (MA), US
• Dynamic generation of event trees for risk modelling of terrorist attacks, S. Toubaline, H. Borrion, T. Le Sage; Technologies for Homeland Security, IEEE Conference on - 13 November 2012, Waltham (MA), US
• Countering Bioterrorism: Why smart buildings should have a code of Ethics, H. Borrion, T. Mitchener-Nissen, J. Taylor, K.M. Lai; European Intelligence and Security Informatics - 22 August 2012, Odense, Denmark
• iCARE: A scenario-based method for the RIBS project, H. Borrion, N. Bouhana; European Intelligence and Security Informatics - 22 August 2012, Odense, Denmark• An Empirical Study of the Impact of Reliability Values on Threat
Assessment (accepted), H. Borrion, M. Gaballa, C.Wapshott, S. Johnson, N. Harvey; NATO Institute on Collaborative Human-Centric Systems for Prediction and Detection of Maritime Piracy - 28 September 2011, Salamanca, Spain
• Radar-based Technologies for Terrorist Detection
H. Borrion, N. Bouhana, H.Guo, K.Chetty, G.Smith, K.Woodbridge and C. J. Baker
NATO Science and Technology for Defence against Terrorism. Manheim, Germany
April 24 2008
• Study of processing techniques for Radar non-cooperative target recognition
Borrion, H; Thesis (Ph.D.) University College London, 2006
• One-Dimensional Model-based Approach for ISAR Imaging (2)
Borrion, H.; Griffiths, H.; Tait, P.; Money, D.; Baker, C.;
Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2006. IGARSS 2006. IEEE International Conference on
July 31 2006-Aug. 4 2006 Page(s):3196 - 3199 Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/IGARSS.2006.821
• One-dimensional model-based approach for ISAR imaging
Borrion, H.; Griffiths, H.D.; Tait, P.; Money, D.; Baker, C.J.;
Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2005. IGARSS '05. Proceedings. 2005 IEEE International
Volume 1, 25-29 July 2005 Page(s):4 pp.
Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/IGARSS.2005.1526170
• Scattering centre extraction for extended targets
Borrion, H.; Griffiths, H.D.; Tait, P.; Money, D.; Baker, C.J.;
Radar Conference, 2005 IEEE International
9-12 May 2005 Page(s):173 - 178
• A high dynamic range beam position measurement system for ELSA-2
Guimbal, P.; Balleyguier, P.; Deslandes, D.; Borrion, H.;
Particle Accelerator Conference, 2003. PAC 2003. Proceedings of the
Volume 4, 12-16 May 2003 Page(s):2458 - 2460 vol.4
Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/PAC.2003.1289153
Serious Intelligence Game for Multisource Analysis, "Annual Meeting of the OSCE Border Security and Management National Focal Points Network", Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe - 31.11.2012, Vienna (AT)
The future of Security Research Training, EU-FP7 Project DOC-CAREER 2 - "Promoting Collaborative Doctoral Education for Enhanced Career Opportunities" Workshop - 13.10.2011, Camerino (I)
Dual-Use Technologies for Maritime Security, NATO Institute on Collaborative Human-Centric Systems for Prediction and Detection of Maritime Piracy - 28.09.2011, Salamanca (S)
Machine Vision for Security, European Machine Vision Association - 12.04.2008, Berlin (G)
Moving towards Integrated Security, ITS - Security interest group 27.07.2007, London (GB)
Developing airport security technologies, Transec World-Expo XXI, 27.06.2007, Amsterdam (NL)
UCL Centre for Security and Crime Science, UK Department for Trade and Industry, London (GB)
EU-FP7 RIBS - Resilient Infrastructure and Building Security (£4m, PI), 2010
EU-FP7 BASYLIS (£3m), 2011
EU Erasmus Mundus External Cooperation Window: mobility scholarship to Tinghua University, Beijing (EUR 5k).
Foreign Office: Travel Grant: DHS's University Conference, March 2010.
DHS grant: Organisation of a Security and Crime Science workshop (£5k)
UCL/EPSRC Bridging the gap : organisation of the first environmental crime conference (£5k), 2009
UCL/EPSRC Knowledge Transfer Account (£250k), 2007
EPSRC: Secuity Science Doctoral Research Training Centre, 2009
CURRENT PHD STUDENTS
- Saumil Desai,
- Mohamed Gaballa
- Sami Richardson
- Iacovos Kirlappos
- Matthew Morroz
CURRENT AND PAST MASTERS STUDENTS
- Christine Elia Sofianos, Sensitivity analysis of intelligence analysis techniques, 2012
- Christopher Poulton, Sensitivity analysis of intelligence analysis techniques, 2012
- Alessandro Souza Soares, Sensitivity analysis of intelligence analysis techniques, 2012
- Mohamed Gaballa, Sensitivity analysis of intelligence analysis techniques to reliability estimates, 2011
Risk Analysis and Synthetic Security
- Ramon Rivzi, Modelling of biological attack in buildings, 2012.
- Matthew Ashby, Modelling railway fatalities in England, 2012
- Reka Solymosi, Crowd spatial patterns at bus stops and security implications, 2012
- Nasli Sabohi, Study of security procedures for detection of counterfeit notes, 2012
- Joanna Hill, Agent based modelling for Environmental Crime, 2012
- Nuno Vaz Martin, A computer-based model for vulnerability analysis of museum assets based on the location of security guards, 2011
- Lusine Tarkhanyan, Agent-based analysis of CCTV monitoring strategies for offender detection in hospitals, 2010
- Saumil Desai, Investigating Forward Scatter Radar for Marimtime Target Detection using Statistical and Comparative Study, 2011
- Rammah Shami, Target detection using bistatic Wi-Fi Radar and RFID, 2011
- Toby Davis, Speech enhancement using the binary mask method and its application to law enforcement, 2010
Society and Security Measures
- Leanne Whitehead, Civil Liberties vs Security: How does terrorist threat perception based on the level of exposure to actual threat and security measures influence public opinion?, 2011
- Joseph Hutton, An examination into the effect of treatment versus control on public perceptions of the UK's counter terrorism legislation, 2011
Page last modified on 10 oct 12 17:50