- Vision & Strategy
- The Wisdom Agenda
- UCL Grand Challenges
- UCL Research Frontiers
- UCL Public Policy
- UCL Research Domains
- Strategic Partnerships
- UCL Research & Parliament
- Access UCL Expertise
- BEAMS Funding Office
- SLMS Research Coordination Office
- Professor David Price, UCL Vice-Provost (Research)
- REF2014 results: read analysis by the UCL Vice-Provost (Research)
UoA 12: Language and Communication linked to health and clinical issues
In 2001, UCL Biomedicine comprised 5 research institutes and two faculties: Clinical Sciences and Life Sciences (FLS). These components were recently amalgamated into the School of Medical and Life Sciences, comprising two faculties: FLS and the faculty of Biomedical Sciences (FBS). This reorganisation was undertaken to develop and sustain research excellence and to foster interdisciplinarity. FLS is now reorganising into two divisions, one of which – the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences - comprises the former departments of Human Communication Science (HCS), Phonetics and Linguistics (P&L), and Psychology. The present submission comprises one element of the new division: research in language and communication linked to health and clinical issues. It reflects the strong historical links between the former departments of HCS and the Speech and Hearing Science group (SHS) of P&L (see RAE 2001). One element of the restructuring is the imminent co-location of the research groups indicated here, with a world-renowned Linguistics group (UoA58), in a single flagship location.
The submission reflects leading international scientific research in speech perception and language processing, including neuroimaging research in spoken and gestural (signed) language. We apply this research, informed by a variety of theoretical frameworks, to explore language and communication disorder, and to develop tests, intervention and rehabilitative techniques.
Highlights of the 2001- 2007 period
- External grant income £6M
- ESRC Centre for Deafness Cognition and Language (2005-15): £3.8M for phase 1 (2005-2010)
- SRIF-3 Investment of £12M to redevelop Chandler House to house speech, language and communication research teams
- 10 postdoctoral fellowships held within this UoA
- Development of neuroimaging approaches to language processing through prestigious awards to Scott (approximately £1.3 million), and Campbell et al.
- All successful PhDs achieved academic posts/career advancement
- Around 300 papers in peer-reviewed journals from UoA12 staff/students
Four research groups include:
- Speech And Hearing Science
- Deafness, Cognition And Language
- Development Of Language And Communication
- Lifespan Disorders Of Language And Communication
Neuroimaging is a cross-thematic research strand.
Staff names below link to submitted publications:
error message: The database connection Oracle_database_connection2 cannot be found.
Page last modified on 12 jan 08 01:44