Health economics is the application of economic theory, models and empirical techniques to the analysis of decision making by people, health care providers and governments with respect to health and health care.
It is solidly based in economic theory but it also comprises a body of theory developed specifically to understand the behaviour of patients, doctors and hospitals, and analytical techniques developed to facilitate resource allocation decisions in health care.
Researchers across UCL conduct a wide range of health economics research, and have particular expertise in:
- economic evaluations within clinical trials
- economic evaluation using decision analytic modelling and discrete event simulation
- econometric methods for health research
- policy design and evaluation
- health insurance and health care financing
- resource allocation
- early childhood interventions
- measurement of health and health care inequalities.
Research is undertaken across a range of disease areas and in the UK and globally.
Below is a list of researchers who are currently working in the field of health economics research at UCL. Click on their names to find their contact details and more information about their work.
- Prof Jerome Adda Honorary Professor
- Prof Orazio Attanasio Professor of Economics
- Dr Gianluca Baio Reader in Statistics and Health Economics
- Dr Neha Batura Research Associate
- Ms Chris Brew-Graves Operations Manager
- Dr Anna Buylova Gola Senior Research Associate
- Prof Antonio Cabrales Chair of Microeconomics
- Prof Pedro Carneiro Professor of Economics
- Dr Caroline Clarke Research Associate
- Dr Tim Colbourn Lecturer in Global Health (Theme: Epidemiology and Evaluation
- Dr Gabriella Conti Reader in Economics and Co-Investigator of the National Child Development Study
- Prof Mariacristina De Nardi Professor of Macroeconomics
- Prof Eric French Chair of Applied Economics
- Dr Christopher Gerry Senior Lecturer
- Dr Hassan Haghparast-Bidgoli Research Associate
- Miss Rachael Hunter Senior Research Associate
- Dr Mariya Melnychuk Research Associate
- Dr Shepley Orr Lecturer
- Miss Monica Panca Research Associate
- Miss Nishma Patel Research Associate
- Dr Elena Pizzo Senior Research Associate
- Dr Anni-Maria Pulkki-Brannstrom Honorary Senior Research Associate
- Dr Jolene Skordis-Worrall Senior Lecturer
- Mr Ebenezer Tetteh Research Associate
- Dr Marcos Vera Hernandez Reader in Economics
- Ms Talitha Verhoef Research Associate
- Dr Aureo de Paula Reader in Economics
" "Health economics is solidly based in economic theory but it also comprises a body of theory developed specifically to understand the behaviour of patients, doctors and hospitals, and analytical techniques developed to facilitate resource allocation decisions in health care."