Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
UCL is the top-rated university in the UK for research strength in the new Research Excellence Framework 2014 published on 18 December 2014, by a measure of average research score multiplied by staff numbers submitted.
UCL researchers received a ‘grade point average’ of 3.22 (out of 4) and submitted over 2,500 staff to be assessed in REF2014, giving UCL an overall research power greater than both the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge.
Other highlights of REF2014 for UCL include:
- UCL enjoys the greatest amount of 4* (“world leading”) research in Panel A, covering medicine and biological sciences, much of which is conducted in collaboration with our partner hospitals
- UCL has the largest amount of academic research activity in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics);
- UCL has the strongest research power and share of 4* research in Panel C, covering social sciences, and overtaking both Oxford University and the LSE for the first time;
- UCL Economics, UCL Psychology & Language Sciences, UCL Neuroscience, the UCL Bartlett Faculty of the Built Environment, the UCL Institute of Education, UCL Chemistry and UCL Computer Science are among the university’s top research performers;
- UCL received a ‘grade point average’ of 3.54 (out of 4) regarding the real-world impact of its research, placing it among the top comprehensive universities rated.
For media enquiries related to results please contact UCL Communications and Marketing T: +44 (0) 20 76799041 (int: 09041)
Impact Case Studies
The case studies submitted to REF2014 are available on the UCL impact website