UCL Institute for Risk & Disaster Reduction
- IRDR News
- Research themes
- Teaching Portal
- About the UCL Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction
- Volcanic Hazard from Iceland: Analysis and Implications of the Eyjafjallajökull Eruption
- UCL Institute for Risk & Disaster Reduction (IRDR) Discussion Meeting on the Honshu Earthquake and Tsunami
- EEFIT report: The Tohoku earthquake and Tsunami of 11th March 2011
- Dickens’s London
- Nature Climate Change Paper on Ground Water
- IRDR Special Report 2013-01 UK-Japan Workshop and Lessons on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Join the Institute
- Contact Us
- Reader in Risk, Resilience, and Global Health joint with the Institute for Global Health, application deadline 29th May 2013
EEFIT report: The Tohoku earthquake and Tsunami of 11th March 2011
On 11 March the north eastern coast of Japan was hit by an 8.9 magnitude earthquake and tsunami. The event captivated audiences worldwide as the devastating effect to Japan’s infrastructure unravelled – not least the damage sustained to the Fukushima nuclear plant which prevented cooling of its reactors.
A mission team of nine, led by Antonios Pomonis and deputy leader Dr Keiko Saito, and included IRDR Director, Professor Peter Sammonds, was dispatched on 29 May to spend five days in Japan’s Tohoku region. The mission team carried out extensive investigations in the area – surveying ground motion and tsunami damage alongside geotechnical issues. The team also met with city officials in the region, looked at disaster and recovery management plans and the overall effect of the earthquake on the energy sector.
The findings of the team can be found online in the form of the EEFIT mission report The Tohoku earthquake and Tsunami of 11th March 2011
The EEFIT mission team also presented their findings at an evening technical meeting on Thursday 14 July 2011. The video recording from the event - EEFIT Technical Evening Meeting: Lessons from the Mw9 Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami of 11 March 2011 - can be viewed online.
Further mission reports and details about joining EEFIT can be found on the EEFIT website.