- IRDR 2012-2013 Seminar series
- First Academic Conference on Risk and Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience
- IRDR 3rd Annual Conference, 14th June 2013
- Debating Matters National Final
- Professor David Alexander Inaugural Lecture
- UK Japan Symposium on Disasters
- UK Japan Disaster Risk Reduction Workshop
- UCL-Tohoku Disaster Risk Reduction Workshop
- UCL IRDR Seminar Series 2013-2014
- Debating Matters Qualifying Round 2013-2014
- IRDR Building Resilience Forum
- UCL Lunch Hour Public Lecture: After Fukushima
- IRDR Careers and Opportunities Forum 2014
- IRDR Fourth Annual Conference
- Past Event: IRDR Student Forum
- Second Academic Conference on Research, Teaching and Service in Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience
- Past Event: Disability and Disasters
- The road to a safer world from natural hazards - can science impact on policy and practice?
- UCL IRDR Seminar Series 2014-2015
- Special Seminar on Probabilistic Catastrophe Loss Models, 13-Oct-2014
- IRDR Careers and Opportunities Forum, 3rd March 2015
- Security, terrorism and human rights- making London resilient, 5-March-2015
- UCL IRDR 5th Annual Conference, 25th June 2015
- UCL IRDR Third Academic Summit, 24th June 2015
- "Recovery from Disaster" by Ian Davis and David Alexander. Symposium, Book Launch and Reception. Monday 12th October 2015
- UCL IRDR Seminar Series 2015-2016
- 4th IRDR Careers and Opportunities Fair, 1st March 2016
- IRDR Discussion Forum: Heritage and Disasters, Wednesday 9th March 2016
- IRDR 6th Annual Conference, 15th June 2016
- UCL IRDR Fourth Academic Summit, 16th June 2016
- Development in the Arctic: Risks and Rewards, Panel Discussion, 8th June
- Facing Disasters: International Disaster Management and Humanitarian Responses
- UCL IRDR Seminar Series 2016-2017
- UCL IRDR Special Seminar on Gender Responsive Resilience - GRR!
Published: Oct 9, 2016 8:52:55 PM
Published: Sep 14, 2016 6:19:00 PM
Published: Aug 25, 2016 12:01:45 AM
Office location: Rm 38, 2nd floor, South Wing, UCL Main Quadrangle
UK Japan Disaster Risk Reduction Workshop
Publication date: Oct 15, 2013 04:45 PM
Nov 22, 2013 09:00 AM
End: Nov 22, 2013 08:00 PM
Location: Room B17, 1-19 Torrington Place, University College London
This workshop is for academics and researchers from the UK and Japan, primarily from UCL and Tohoku University respectively but including their collaborators and others from academia and commerce, to present their recent and ongoing research in the linked fields of Disaster Science and Disaster Risk Reduction. The aims of the workshop will be to, firstly, increase knowledge and understanding of their respective activities, and secondly to provide a basis for discussion and development of future research collaborations between the UK and Japan in these research fields. Accordingly, the sessions of the workshop will feature a balance of presentations between UK-based and Japan-based researchers. Furthermore, each session will link areas of disaster science directly with their corresponding areas of disaster risk reduction research, in order to foster research activities into natural hazards and the physical processes of disaster events that lead directly to improvements in disaster risk reduction technologies and policies.
focus will be on disasters caused by earthquakes and tsunamis, reflecting the
importance of the Sumatra 2004 and Tohoku 2011 earthquakes and tsunamis in
providing the impetus for many recent developments in research activities at
both universities and in the UCL-Tohoku collaboration, but wider themes will be
explored particularly in the session on the medical, social and cultural
aspects of disaster and in the panel discussion, as well as in the concluding
Dr Rosanna Smith, convener
Dr Simon Day, scientific convener
Registration and coffee
Session 1: Earthquake hazards and earthquake engineering
Chair: Professor Shinji Toda (Tohoku, IRIDeS)
Speakers to include:
Professor Masato Motosaka (IRIDes, Tohoku)
Building damage during the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Earthquake Early Warning Systems in Japan.
Dr Robert Muir Wood (RMS)
Where else can we expect Mw9 earthquakes worldwide, and what does the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake teach us about their consequences?
Dr Katsu Goda (Bristol University)
Strong motion modelling of the 2011 Tohoku mainshock, and nonlinear structural response evaluation of real and synthetic records.
Dr Tom Mitchell (UCL)
Stuck in the mud? Earthquake nucleation and propagation through accretionary forearcs.
|10:50-11:10||Break and refreshments|
Session 2: Tsunami hazards and tsunami engineering
Chair: Dr Simon Day (UCL IRDR)
Speakers to include:
Professor Akira Mano (IRIDes, Tohoku)
Large scale scouring by the 2011 Tohoku Tsunami.
Assoc. Professor Anawat Suppasri (IRIDeS, Tohoku)
Recent developments on tsunami fragility curves through the collaboration between UCL and IRIDeS.
Dr Serge Guillas (UCL)
Uncertainties in modelling of tsunami generation, propagation and impact.
Professor Dave Tappin (BGS, UCL)
A submarine landslide is required to explain the March 11th 2011 Tohoku tsunami.
Session 3: Medical, social and cultural aspects of Disaster
Chair: Dr Ilan Kelman (UCL IRDR)
Speakers to include:
Professor Hiroaki Tomita (IRIDeS, Tohoku)
Psychosocial postventions following the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami.
Asst. Professor Rui Nouchi (IRIDeS, Tohoku)
Rethinking of disasters from psychology and cognitive neuroscience.
Professor Fumihiko Imamura (IRIDeS, Tohoku)
Disaster Digital Archive for the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami.
Professor Masahito Takahashi (Yamaguchi University)
Weighing the costs of the 311 Tsunami Disaster.
Dr Simon Day (UCL)
Cultural and geological evidence of tsunamis in Papua New Guinea.
|15:40-16:05||Break and refreshments|
Poster Session Introductions
Chair: Dr Rosanna Smith (UCL IRDR)
Poster presenters will have the chance to give 1-2 minute introductions to their posters, which will be presented in the UCL South Cloisters later in the day.
Session 4: Panel Discussion: Communication of Disaster Science for Mitigation, Recovery and Reconstruction: what do the users need?
Discussion chair/moderator: Professor David Alexander (UCL)
Professor Makoto Okumura (IRIDeS, Tohoku),
Assoc. Professor Kanako Iuchi (IRIDeS, Tohoku),
Dr Carina Fearnley (Aberystwyth University).
Poster Session and Reception
This event is free, but you need to register before the registration deadline at 08:00 am GMT on Wednesday 20th November.