Key Information Set
Academic Support contact for initial enquiries - Rob Traynor
Queries regarding KIS data requirements - Gary Smith
The Key Information Set (KIS) is a Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) initiative to revise the public information requirements for universities which summarises publically available data regarding programmes of study.
Universities are required to publish a KIS for each undergraduate programme to be offered from 2013-14, within their on-line prospectus.
The KIS will form an integral part of the national quality assurance system for institutions, which will also be judged on how well and accurately they provide this information in future Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) Institutional Reviews.
The KIS will appear on the prospectus page as a “widget”, a graphic presenting key pieces of information linked to further information on the Unistats website. Prospective students are also able to search and compare both data for different programmes and universities on Unistats (which has provided information on programmes since 2007).
The KIS information consists of:
- Student satisfaction (from the National Student Survey - NSS) – including the quality of course, IT and library resources, feedback on assessed work, academic support, teaching and for the first time, on the student union;
- Graduate employment data (from the Destination of Leavers from Higher Education survey - DLHE) - including breakdown of destinations, salary and number in graduate level employment;
- Proportions of time spent on teaching and learning activities (from the institution) - including scheduled learning and teaching activities, guided independent study and placement/study abroad, split by year of study;
- Breakdown of assessment methods (from the institution) - including written examinations, coursework and practical examinations, split by year of study;
- Professional accreditation (from the institution and link to the Professional, Regulatory and Statutory Body - PRSB websites) – where applicable;
- Financial information (from the institution) – including tuition fees, financial support available and accommodation.
Management of the KIS
The Higher Education Statistical Agency (HESA) is responsible for the KIS and reports to HEFCE. The processes for its delivery are similar to the data returns institutions provide to HESA each summer and UCL has purchased additional functionality for the SITS student records system which should have eased production of the course information required.
The KIS Steering Group (KISSG), which reports to the Quality Management and Enhancement Committee (QMEC), oversees KIS operations at UCL and is responsible for:
- monitoring the development of the KIS by HEFCE;
- the operational steps necessary for UCL to meet the KIS requirements;
- advising QMEC on progress.
A network of KIS Contacts has been established in each department concerned (or other relevant academic unit) in order to act as a point of contact and to liaise with KISSG officers in the preparations of the data and information required.
This webpage will be updated with new information as it is received from HEFCE and HESA.
The key dates for the implementation of the KIS are as follows:
||UCL to check and verify its scheduled learning and placement data.|
||Submission system opens. Institutions will have until August 2013 to finalise their data. The system will remain open throughout this period to allow institutions to manage their workloads and undertake quality assurance work.|
||NSS and DLHE data to be added to the KIS submissions by HEFCE.|
||Final deadline for submission of KIS data and institutional sign-off by the Provost.|
||KIS system re-opens for updates to September 2013 KIS. KIS website goes live with updated data. KIS data (via the widgets) embedded and visible on all institutional websites.|
Further information is available on the HEFCE website:
Current information for prospective students and others is available on:
Page last modified on 22 mar 13 15:57