- Appointment of Professors
- Governance and academic organisation
- Governance overview
- UCL Council
- The Academic Board
- UCL's formal committees
- UCL staff elections to serve on Council, Academic Board and other UCL committees
- Academic organisation of UCL
- Campus relations, freedom of speech on campus
- Charity Information Gateway
- Ethical investment
- Honorary Degrees and Honorary Fellowships
- Quality Management & Enhancement
- Research Governance
Restructuring the Academic Units of UCL
Academic Services contact for initial enquiries - Nick McGhee
1. UCL Statute 10.(1) provides that:
There shall be such academic units of the College as the Council on the advice of the Academic Board may from time to time determine …
and Statute 10.(3) that:
The academic units of the College determined by the Council may be assigned to one or other of the College Faculties by the Council on the advice of the Academic Board.
2. Proposals to create, dissolve or otherwise restructure academic Departments or to change the name of a Department therefore need to be referred to Academic Board for advice and thence to Council for approval, subject to the advice of the Academic Board.
3. Proposals for consideration by Academic Board should be forwarded by the Dean of Faculty concerned to the Registrar, following endorsement of the proposal by the Faculty concerned or by the Dean acting on behalf of the Faculty concerned.
4. Proposals received by the Registrar should:
(a) include a brief reasoned statement in support of the proposal;
(b) confirm the Faculty to which a new, restructured or renamed Department is to be assigned;
(c) indicate the date from which the proposal is to take effect.*
5. The Registrar will refer proposals either to the next scheduled meetings of Academic Board and Council or, if the matter is considered sufficiently urgent, to the Provost and the Chair of Council for action on behalf of Academic Board and Council respectively.
6. When such a proposal has been approved, the Registrar will write formally to notify the Dean of Faculty concerned, the Head(s) of Department(s) concerned, and key officers in the UCL Corporate Support Services.
* Reference should be made to the procedure note for Systems Managers which can be accessed from http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/staff/admin_systems/documentation/operational-docs/ when planning implementation schedules.
Page last modified on 29 may 13 14:12