- Appointment of Professors
- Governance and academic organisation
- Honorary Degrees and Honorary Fellowships
- Quality Management & Enhancement
- Research Governance
Appointment of the next Chair of UCL Council
Sir Stephen Wall, who has served as the Chair of Council, UCL’s governing body, since 2008, will step down in September 2014. The Council has now embarked on a search for Sir Stephen’s successor in this crucially important governance role.
The process for identifying a new Chair is being conducted by a group – the Search Committee - set up by Council at its meeting in July 2013. The membership of the Search Committee is as follows:
- Ms Vivienne Parry – lay member and Vice-Chair of Council) (Chair)
- Professor Michael Arthur – President and Provost of UCL and ex officio member of Council
- Mr Ven Balakrishnan – lay member of Council
- Ms Philippa Foster-Back – lay member of Council
- Mr Keir Gallagher – student member of Council
- Professor Dame Hazel Genn - Dean of the UCL Faculty of Laws
- Mr Simon Melliss – lay member of Council and Treasurer of UCL
- Dr Stephanie Schorge (UCL Institute of Neurology) – academic staff member of Council
- Professor Nick Tyler (UCL Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering) – academic staff member of Council
The membership of the Search Committee largely comprises the membership of Council’s Nominations Committee, augmented as agreed by Council in July 2013.
Mr Tim Perry (UCL Registrar), the Council Secretary, is Secretary to the Search Committee, assisted by Mr Nick McGhee (Academic Services).
Executive search consultants Odgers Berndtson have been appointed to assist the Search Committee in its work.
The Search Committee held its first meeting in September 2013 and aims to complete its work by the end of February 2014. It intends to put its recommendation for the next Chair of Council to the Council meeting in March 2014 for approval - with a view to the new Chair taking up appointment on 1 October 2014. The Search Committee has approved a candidate brief and the appointment was advertised in The Sunday Times on 6 October 2013, with a closing date for applications of 8 November 2013.
Members of the UCL community – Council members, staff, students, alumni, honorary fellows and graduates – were invited to submit comments or suggestions about the appointment of the next Chair of Council to Odgers Berndtson by 31 October 2013.
Page last modified on 06 nov 13 12:09