- Appointment of Professors
- Governance and academic organisation
- Honorary Degrees and Honorary Fellowships
- Quality Management & Enhancement
- Research Governance
Research Degrees Committee reports to Academic Committee
- Professor David Bogle
Who to contact
- Mr Gary Hawes
for agendas and minutes
020 7679 8592
- Ms Harriet Lilley
for apologies for absence
020 7679 8593
Research Degrees Committee
Constitution and Membership for 2012-13
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member's name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2011-12 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for observers.
|Head of the Graduate School (Chair)||
Professor David Bogle
Dean of Students (Academic)
Professor Mike Ewing
Dean of Students (Welfare)
Dr Ruth Siddall
Director of Admissions
Ms Bella Malins
Director of Student Services
Mr David Ashton
Medical and Postgraduate Students' Officer, UCL Union
Mr Dante Micheaux
|Faculty Graduate Tutors:|
Arts and Humanities
Dr Stephanie Bird
Dr Steven Bloch
|Built Environment||Dr Stephen Marshall|
Mr Marco Federighi
||Professor Alison Diduck|
|Life Sciences||Professor Kaila Srai|
Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Dr Caroline Essex
Professor Tim McHugh
Dr Dave Spratt
|Population Health Sciences||
Professor David Muller
Social and Historical Sciences
||Dr Tom Gretton|
One member of staff of the Graduate School, nominated by the Head of the Graduate School
- Mr Ben Colvill (1)
One Vice-Head of the Graduate School, nominated by the Head of the Graduate School
- Professor Anthony Harker (-)
One research graduate student, nominated by the UCL Union
- Mr Ben Towse
Two representatives of organisations with which UCL has educational partnerships or collaborations, nominated by the Vice-Provost (Education)
- Dr Donna Brown (2)
- Dr Sally Leevers (2)
Three academic staff - including at least one professor and one non-professor - elected by and from among the professorial and non-professorial academic staff members of Academic Board
- Dr Wendy Brown (2)
- Professor Ijeoma Uchegbu (-)
- Dr Joy Sleeman (2)
Mr Gary Hawes
Terms of Reference
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by the Academic Committee, the Research Degrees Committee is charged by Council:
- To define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure in respect of UCL postgraduate-research students, relating to: (i) student registration; (ii) student attendance and completion of courses and examinations, including suspension of regulations; (iii) the operation of UCL's student grievance procedures for research degree students; (iv) examination misconduct by research students; and (v) all aspects of the research student experience.
- To formulate general UCL policy on the recruitment and admission of postgraduate research students in accordance with UCL’s strategy for student recruitment and other relevant policy statements, and to promote and monitor the implementation of that policy.
- To approve UCL regulations relating to research degrees and amendments thereto.
- On behalf of Academic Committee, to define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure in respect of all matters relating to the supervision and assessment of research degree students, including: (i) comparability of the research student experience across UCL; (ii) approval and appointment of research student supervisors; (iii) provision and comparability of research student supervision, support and training across UCL; (iv) monitoring the progress of research students; (v) development and implementation of processes for the assessment of research students; (vi) appointment of examiners; and (vii) procedures for the distribution of, and action on, examiners reports on research degree students.
- To receive and consider from examiners proposals for the award of research degrees of UCL and of the University of London.
- To submit for approval by the Academic Committee recommendations for the award and revocation of research degrees of UCL and of the University of London.
- To maintain a continuous overview of the work of the Graduate School through the receipt from the Graduate School of regular reports on: (i) implementation of the Graduate School 's codes of practice, guidelines, etc; (ii) development of research training and support; (iii) enhancing graduate education at UCL; (iv) encouraging interdisciplinary collaboration and development in the field of research degree provision; and (v) an annual report on the work of the Graduate School within the preceding 12 months.
- To refer to the Academic Committee such matters as the Research Degrees Committee deems entail academic standards, quality assurance or student experience implications which require the attention of Academic Committee.
- To report to the Academic Committee by (i) the submission of an annual report on the work of the Research Degrees Committee in the preceding 12 months, and (ii) the submission to the Academic Committee officers of the Minutes of each meeting of the Research Degrees Committee.
Meeting Dates 2012-13
- Thursday 15 November 2012, 10.00am
- Wednesday 6 March 2013, 10.00am
- Monday 17 June 2013, 3.00pm
Page last modified on 08 dec 10 15:08