- Appointment of Professors
- Governance and academic organisation
- Honorary Degrees and Honorary Fellowships
- Quality Management & Enhancement
- Research Governance
Quality Management and Enhancement Committee Academic Committee
- Professor Mike Ewing
Who to contact
- Ms Sandra Hinton
for agendas and minutes
020 7679 8590
- Ms Harriet Lilley
for apologies for absence
020 7679 8593
Quality Management and Enhancement Committee
Constitution and Membership for 2012-13
Where the name of a committee member appears in square brackets, this indicates that member’s second or subsequent appearance in the committee’s membership.
Where the name of a committee member is italicised, this indicates that that member is serving on the committee as a deputy or nominee of another member.
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member’s name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2011-12 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for Observers.
|Dean of Students (Academic) (Chair)||Professor Mike Ewing|
|Director of Registry and Academic Services (or nominee)||Mr Jason Clarke|
|Director of Academic Support||[Mr Jason Clarke]|
|Education and Campaigns Officer, UCL Union||
Mr Edwin Clifford-Coupe
|Chair of the Internal Quality Review Panel||Dr Robin Aizlewood|
|Head of Student Data Services||Mr Gary Smith|
|One member of staff from each faculty, with responsibility for quality management and enhancement at either faculty or departmental level, nominated by the Dean of the faculty:|
|Arts and Humanities||Dr Arne Hofmann (1)|
|Brain Sciences||Dr Julie Evans (-)|
|Built Environment||Dr Kevin Mansfield (4)|
|Engineering Sciences||Mr Marco Federighi (6)|
|Laws||Dr Prince Saprai (-)|
|Life Sciences||Dr Alasdair Gibb (4)|
|Mathematical and Physical Sciences||Dr Caroline Essex (2)|
|Medical Sciences||Professor Tim McHugh (2)|
|Population Health Sciences||Dr Joyce Harper (1)|
|Social and Historical Sciences||Ms Helen Matthews (1)|
One member of staff of the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT), nominated by the Director of CALT
- Dr Rosalind Duhs (2)
One Faculty Tutor, nominated by the Dean of Students (Academic)
- [Professor Tim McHugh] (2)
One Vice-Head of the Graduate School, nominated by the Head of the Graduate School
- To be notified
One external member with professional experience of quality management and enhancement issues, nominated by the Vice-Provost (Education)
- Mr Jonathan Morgan (2)
One student member, nominated by the UCL Union
- Mr Fahad Rathore
One member of non-professorial academic staff, elected by and from the elected non-professorial academic staff members of Academic Board
Ms Sandra Hinton
Terms of Reference
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by the Academic Committee, the Quality Management and Enhancement Committee is charged by Council:
- On behalf of Academic Committee, to define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure in respect of UCL's processes for the maintenance of academic standards, and the assurance and enhancement of the quality of its educational provision.
- To be responsible for the implementation, review and development of UCL's Internal Quality Review (IQR) methodology.
- To be responsible for the review and development of UCL's processes for Annual Monitoring and Augmented Annual Monitoring by departments and faculties through (i) receipt of annual summary reports from faculties on issues arising from the faculties' review of the Annual Monitoring Reports and Augmented Annual Monitoring Reports prepared by their constituent departments, and (ii) considering any generic quality management and enhancement issues or themes arising from the faculties' summary reports, and advising the Academic Committee thereon.
- To co-ordinate UCL's preparations for Institutional Audit by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) including the provision of information and advice to academic and administrative staff involved in such preparations.
- To co-ordinate, in consultation with the academic units concerned, preparations for any subject-level reviews of UCL teaching and learning provision by the QAA.
- To co-ordinate the development and monitor the implementation of UCL processes relating to the QAA's Academic Infrastructure, including the Code of Practice for the Assurance of Academic Quality and Standards in Higher Education, the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications, Subject Benchmark Statements, and Programme Specifications.
- To co-ordinate the development, and monitor the implementation, of UCL processes in relation to all other aspects of national quality assurance system as defined by the Higher Education Funding Council or England and the representative bodies, including the ‘public information' requirements.
- To promote the development at institutional, faculty and departmental levels of initiatives relating to quality enhancement.
- To maintain a continuous overview of the work of the IQR Panel through the receipt from the Panel of: (i) reports on any matters arising from the Panel's scrutiny of IQR reports and/or departments' action plans which it deems have wider implications for UCL policy or procedure which require the attention of the Quality Management and Enhancement Committee; (ii) an annual report on the work of the Panel in the preceding 12 months; (iii) the Minutes of all of its meetings.
- To promote discussion and sharing of good practice between UCL and other institutions regarding institutional processes for self-evaluation and quality enhancement.
- To report to Academic Committee by (i) submission of an annual report to Academic Committee on the work of the Committee in the preceding 12 months, and (ii) submission to the Academic Committee officers of the Minutes of each meeting of the Quality Management and Enhancement Committee.
Meeting Dates 2012-13
- Wednesday 7 November 2012, 2pm
- Tuesday 9 April 2013, 2pm
- Tuesday 18 June 2013, 2pm
Page last modified on 08 dec 10 14:50