- Appointment of Professors
- Governance and academic organisation
- Honorary Degrees and Honorary Fellowships
- Quality Management & Enhancement
- Research Governance
Constitution and Membership for 2013-14
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member’s name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2012-13 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for observers.
|Chair of Council||Sir Stephen Wall|
|President and Provost||Professor Michael Arthur|
|Treasurer (Chair)||Mr Simon Melliss|
Six Lay Members, including at least one current Lay Member of Council, appointed by Council on the recommendation of Nominations Committee
- Mr Ven Balakrishnan (4)
- Dr Ben Booth (3)
- Mr Mark Clarke (5)
- Mr John Morgan (3)
- Dr Gill Samuels (2)
Three professorial members appointed by Council on the recommendation of Nominations Committee
- Professor Sue Hamilton (1)
- Professor Alan Smith (-)
- Professor Alan Thompson (1)
Two non-professorial members appointed by Council on the recommendation of Nominations Committee
- Dr Stephanie Bird (-)
- Dr Liam Graham (-)
- Mr Mohammed Zayyan Butt
|Secretary||Mr Nick McGhee|
Terms of Reference
Subject to any general or particular direction that may be given from time to time by Council, the Finance Committee is charged by Council:
- To give assurance to the Provost and Council on the suitability and appropriateness of UCL’s financial strategy and policies within the context of UCL’s overall objectives and strategy as set by Council. This includes: i) reviewing UCL’s financial plans and budgets; ii) monitoring financial performance against budget; iii) reviewing funding, banking and other financing arrangements; iv) approval of capital projects and other major commitments; v)reviewing annual financial statements and related external reporting.
- To consider and recommend to Council the annual income and expenditure budget for the forthcoming year.
- To consider, and report to Council, on the budgeted cash flow and capital expenditure for the forthcoming year.
- To monitor, and report to Council, on actual income and expenditure and cash flow throughout the year.
- To monitor, and report to Council, on the projected financial outturn for the year compared with budget.
- To recommend to Council adoption of the annual financial statements for the preceding financial year.
- To review UCL's long-term forecasts of income and expenditure (recurrent and capital) as submitted to the HEFCE or as otherwise required, and to report thereon to Council.
- To consider reports on developments that may result in additional future financial commitments for UCL, and to report thereon to Council.
- To consider reports from the Director of UCL Estates on the financial position of current capital projects, and to report thereon to Council.
- To consider the financial implications of capital projects, relating to expenditure exceeding £2 million including the detailed evaluation of business cases, on the advice of the Estates Management Committee, and proposals for acquisition or disposal of freehold or leasehold sites or buildings.
- To consider for approval other orders, contracts and financial commitments exceeding £2 million.
- To consider reports on other revenue generating activities including fund raising and enterprise. Review annually the financial plans and performance of UCL Business.
- To receive and approve the UCLU Budget for the forthcoming financial year and note the annual UCLU Financial Statements.
- To receive advice from appropriate bodies in respect of companies in which UCL has a substantial shareholding, and to request financial reports and forecasts from these companies, where appropriate.
To consider and take action on the following matters:
- Policy relating to UCL’s banking arrangements, including: the appointment of bankers and of any other officers or agents whom the Committee deems it expedient to appoint; the bank mandate and overdraft facilities.
- Arrangements for short-term and long-term borrowings for capital projects or other purposes.
- The setting of tuition fees, on the advice of UCL officers.
- UCL's long and short term investments, on advice from the Investments Committee.
- Policy relating to UCL’s insurances.
- Writing off of losses or deficiencies in money or stores, irrecoverable debts or overpayments, and disposal of obsolete equipment.
- Other relevant financial matters including loans and advances; guarantees involving a material financial liability; accounting for Trust Fund.
- To consider the financial risks to UCL, together with the financial implications of non-financial risks, and monitor performance against the associated risk management plans.
- To liaise where appropriate with the Audit Committee on financial controls and risk management.
- To receive the Minutes of the Estates Management Committee and the Investments Committee.
- To receive and consider reports from HEFCE, as they affect UCL’s business, and monitor adherence to any regulatory requirements.
- To report to Council by submission to the Council members of the Minutes of each meeting of the Finance Committee, together with an oral report by the Treasurer.
Meeting Dates 2013-14
- Monday 23 September 2013, 10.30am
- Thursday 14 November, 11.15am
- Tuesday 28 January 2014, 10.30am
- Tuesday 11 March 2014, 10.30am
- Tuesday 10 June 2014, 10.30am
Page last modified on 21 dec 10 10:53