- Appointment of Professors
- Governance and academic organisation
- Honorary Degrees and Honorary Fellowships
- Quality Management & Enhancement
- Research Governance
Education Committee reports to Academic Committee
- Professor Mike Ewing
Who to contact
- Ms Sandra Hinton
for agendas and minutes
020 7679 8590
- Ms Harriet Lilley
for apologies for absence
020 7679 8593
Constitution and Membership for 2013-14
Where the name of a committee member appears in square brackets, this indicates that member’s second or subsequent appearance in the committee’s membership.
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member’s name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2012-13 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for observers.
|Dean of Students (Academic) (Chair)||Professor Mike Ewing|
|Chair, Programme and Module Approval Steering Group||
Professor Chris Carey
|Chair, UCL Board of Examiners||
[Professor Chris Carey]
|Director of Academic Services||Mr Jason Clarke|
|Director of Information and Data Services||Ms Kathleen Nicholls|
Director of Student Administration
||Mr David Ashton|
|Head of Careers Service||Ms Karen Barnard|
|Head of the Graduate School||Professor David Bogle|
UCLU Education & Campaigns Officer
Mr Keir Gallagher
UCLU International Students' Officer
||Mr Zubair Idris|
UCLU Postgraduate Students' Officer
Mr Ben Towse
|Arts and Humanities||Dr Arne Hofmann|
|Brain Sciences||Dr Julie Evans|
|Built Environment||Ms Susan Ware|
|Engineering Sciences||Mr Marco Federighi|
|Laws||Ms Olga Thomas|
|Life Sciences||Dr Hilary Richards|
|Mathematical and Physical Sciences||Dr Caroline Essex|
Dr Brenda Cross
Dr Peter Raven
|Population Health Sciences||
[Dr Brenda Cross]
[Dr Peter Raven]
|Social and Historical Sciences||[Dr Arne Hofmann]|
One member of staff of the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT), nominated by the Director of CALT
- Dr Paul Walker (-)
One member of staff of the Finance and Business Affairs Division, nominated by the Director of Finance and Business Affairs
- Ms Valerie Hogg (3)
One member of staff of the Information Services Division, nominated by the Director of Information Services
- Dr Fiona Strawbridge (3)
One member of staff of Library Services, nominated by the Director of Library Services
- Ms June Hedges (3)
One Vice-Head of the Graduate School, nominated by the Head of the Graduate School
- To be notified
One taught graduate student, nominated by the UCLU
- Mr Dan Cotfas
One undergraduate student, nominated by the UCLU
- Ms Cecilie Jorgensen
Two representatives of organisations with which UCL has educational partnerships or collaborations, nominated by the Vice-Provost (Education)
- To be notified
Three academic staff - including at least one professor and one non-professor - elected by and from among the professorial and non-professorial academic staff members of Academic Board
- Dr John Mitchell (3)
- Professor Derek Tocher (1)
- Dr Andrew Wills (1)
- Dr Christine Hoffmann (2)
- Dr Helen Matthews (2)
Ms Sandra Hinton
Terms of Reference
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by the Academic Committee, the Education Committee is charged by Council:
- On behalf of Academic Committee, to define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure in respect of UCL's taught students (including undergraduate and postgraduate-taught students) relating to: (i) student registration; (ii) student attendance at, and completion of, programmes and examinations, including suspension of regulations; (iii) the operation of UCL's student grievance procedures for taught students and monitoring thereof by consideration of an annual report thereon; and (iv) all aspects of the taught student experience.
- To approve UCL regulations relating to taught degrees and amendments thereto.
- To develop, review and monitor the implementation of UCL's Personal Tutoring Scheme.
- To define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure for the approval and review of programmes of study and their constituent modules; to submit to Council annually summary details of all new programmes of study approved during the preceding 12 months.
- To maintain a continuous overview of the work of the Programme and Module Approval Steering Group, through the receipt from the Steering Group of: (i) recommendations for the approval of new programmes of study and constituent modules, for approval by the Education Committee; (ii) reports on any matters arising from the Steering Group's scrutiny of proposals for new programmes of study which it deems have wider implications for UCL policy or procedure which require the attention of the Education Committee; (iii) an annual report on the work of the Steering Group during the preceding 12 months; and (iv) the Minutes of all of its meetings.
- On behalf of Academic Committee, to define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure in respect of all matters relating to the examination and assessment of taught students, including: (i) development and implementation of schemes of award for taught students; (ii) comparability of academic standards across UCL; (iii) approval of appointment of all examiners; (iv) approval and appointment of all Chairs and Deputy Chairs of Boards of Examiners; (v) consideration of issues arising from the reports of External Examiners; and (vi) acting as the ultimate forum within UCL in which to resolve issues arising from examination procedures other than those arising from allegations of examination irregularity or from grievances brought by students.
- To receive and consider from each Faculty proposals for the award of degrees of UCL and of the University of London.
- To submit for approval by the Academic Committee recommendations for the award and revocation of taught degrees of UCL and of the University of London.
- To maintain a continuous overview of the work of the UCL Board of Examiners, through the receipt from the Board of: (i) reports on any matters arising from the Board's monitoring of the examination and assessment processes which it deems have wider implications for UCL policy or practice which require the attention of the Education Committee; (ii) an annual report on the work of the Board in the preceding 12 months; and (iii) the Minutes of all of its meetings.
- To refer to the Academic Committee such matters as the Education Committee deems to entail academic standards, quality assurance, or student experience implications which require the attention of Academic Committee.
- To report to the Academic Committee by (i) the submission of an annual report on the work of the Education Committee in the preceding 12 months, and (ii) the submission to the Academic Committee officers of the Minutes of each meeting of the Education Committee.
Meeting Dates 2013-14
- Friday 4 October, 2pm
- Tuesday 26 November 2013, 2pm
- Thursday 6 March 2014, 2pm
- Thursday 1 May 2014, 2pm
- Thursday 19 June 2014, 2pm
Page last modified on 30 nov 10 16:41