NEW: Science Policy Podcasts
- Dr Sarah Bell (UCL Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering) on the UCLoo Festival
- Professor Jonathan Wolff (UCL Philosophy) on what philosophy can offer public policy
PUBLIC POLICY MAILING LIST
RESEARCH INFLUENCING POLICY
VIDEO INTRODUCTION – UCL PUBLIC POLICY AND UCL GRAND CHALLENGES
Governance of Climate Change Technologies
This cross-disciplinary project is chaired by Professor Maria Lee (UCL Laws) and explores the space for public participation during the consenting process for wind energy and CCS projects. Whilst decision makers are subject to legal obligations to provide opportunities for public involvement in consenting, an examination of high level strategic planning policy suggests that in practice, very little will be up for discussion by this stage. We have also identified a certain mistrust of public participation among those making policy on the technological change thought necessary for climate change mitigation. Legally embedded rights to participate, coupled with limited opportunities to influence, create the danger that participation becomes a simple bureaucratic hurdle, frustrating for all concerned.
The project group will be publishing an article on "Public Participation and Climate Change Infrastructure" in the first 2013 issue of the Journal of Environmental Law. An accompanying policy briefing is available here.
The project group held a workshop with representatives of the NGO sector in September 2012 to discuss the findings of the project and possible solutions to help address the problems in public participation. A policy briefing summarising the key points of the discussion is available here.
A policy seminar was held in November 2011, as part of the UCL Public Policy events series, on 'Going Low-Carbon - the Governance of Climate Change Technologies'. A policy briefing developed from the project and the seminar discussion is available here.
The core members of the project group are:
- Professor Maria Lee (UCL Laws)
- Dr Chiara Armeni (UCL Laws)
- Dr Javier de Cendra de Larragan (UCL Laws and UCL Energy Institute)
- Dr Simon Lock (UCL Science and Technology Studies)
- Professor Mark Maslin (UCL Geography)
- Professor Catherine Redgwell (UCL Laws)
- Professor Yvonne Rydin (UCL Bartlett School of Planning)
Page last modified on 27 sep 12 17:41