Public Health Research
See new pages European Health Research Database - bottom left
Public health research is medical science at population and organisational levels.
Professor of public health.
My work has been at European level, at UCL and for the NHS in London.
- PHIRE (Public Heath Innovation and Research in Europe) 2010 - 2013, is holding workshops in EU member states on public health performance, and assessing national uptake of projects from the European Commission's public health programme. It is funded by the European Commission's Directorate General for Health and Consumers Health Programme.
- STEPS (Strengthening Engagement in Public Health) 2009 - 2011, developed links between civil society organisations and public health research in the 12 EU new member states, and mapped the structures for public health research in EU countries. It was funded by the European Commission's Directorate General for Research Cooperation / Science in Society programme (FP7)
- FAHRE (Food and Health in Europe) 2010 - 2011, mapped structures and needs for food and health research across European countries. It was funded by the European Commission's Directorate General for Research Cooperation / Knowledge-Based Bio-Economy programme (FP7).
- SPHERE (Strengthening Public Health Research in Europe) 2005-2007, mapped health research perspectives at European and national levels including bibliometric analysis of six sub-areas of research - health promotion, health services, environmental health, public health genetics, infectious disease control, health management. It was funded by the European Commission's Sixth Directorate for Research Programme Policy programme (FP6)
- Patient Safety Research conference was organised in Porto, Portugal with WHO and the UK Faculty of Public Health, under the Portuguese Presidency, in September 2007. It was funded by the European Commission's Directorate for Research Cooperation / Health programme
I am currently Lead for Research for the European Public Health Association, and previously Chair of the European Committee, UK Faculty of Public Health.
I have represented EUPHA at the EU Health Policy Forum (advice to European Commission's Directorate for Health and Consumers) and have led EUPHA's position on European health research policy.
- Expert Member of the Advisory Committee, MASCOT (Multilateral Association for Studying health inequalities and enhancing North-South and South-South Cooperation) (2011 - )
- Participant at the Directorate for Research's review of the FP7 Health programme, Brussels July 2011, Speaker as Strategic Review of the Public Health Programme, Menorca, September 2010
- Evaluator for the European Commission' Directorate for Research Seventh, Sixth and fifth Framework Research Programmes for calls including Public Health, International Health, Environment and Health, and Regional Policy.
- Evaluator for the Directorate for Health and Consumers for the Public Health Programme (open calls and tenders) (2003- )
- Referee for research proposals for National Research Councils of Belgium, Italy, Slovakia.
I created courses for and taught medical students in community medicine and medical sociology, and contributed teaching in health services research at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Further guest lectures and teaching in Austria, Denmark, Ireland, Italy and Slovakia.
I developed research in public health across fields including cancer services, palliative care, transport and health, and health impact assessment.
Urban health determinants (particularly
transport and health), including UK Department of Health research grant
to investigate statistical modelling in health impact assessment, and
work for both the public sector (eg assessment of the London Olympics
transport plan) and private sector (eg assessments of oil developments
in Russia and middle Geast).
Health services research, particularly cancer services, including a UK National Institute for Health Research (SDO programme) research grant to evaluate information systems for regional cancer networks and earlier long-term programme of studies on the evaluation of palliative care in the UK.
As District Community Physician in North Hammersmith, and then Director of Public Health in Camden and Islington, London (1991-1997), I was responsible for policies and practice in public health for the local population.
My book Epidemiology and Policies for Health Planning (London: Kings Fund, 1983) described the then literature evidence for public
health policies and practice.
BA, MA (Natural Sciences, Economics) University of Cambridge
MB BChir University of Cambridge / University College Hospital Medical School
MSc (Social Medicine) London School of Hygiene (Chadwick Gold Medal)
PhD London School of Economics
Fellow of the UK Faculty of Public Health and Royal College of Physicians (England)
Academic publications 2012-2011
McCarthy M, Clarke A, Dyakova M. Public health science systems and policies: the UK in a European context. The Lancet Public Health Abstracts, Accepted, in press.
McCarthy M. Social sciences for food and health research. Genes and Nutrition, in submission
Mark McCarthy. Targets for health in Europe: the debate continues. European Journal of Public Health 2012; doi: 10.1093/eurpub/cks082
McCarthy M. Transforming research for food and health in Europe. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2012) 66, 1178–1179; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2012.90; published online 25 July 2012.
McCarthy M, Dressel K, Chartier O, Newton R. Food and health research in Europe: structures, gaps and futures. Food Policy, Accepted, in press.
McCarthy M, Knabe A. Civil society organisations and public health research – evidence from eight European Union new member states. Central European Journal of Public Health, Accepted, in press.
McCarthy M. Public health research support through the European Structural Funds in Central and Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean. Health Research Policy and Systems, 2012, 10:12 doi:10.1186/1478-4505-10-12
Knabe A, McCarthy M. Civil society and public health research in the European Union new member states. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 2012; 40: 253-259.
Beinare D, McCarthy M. (2012) Civil society organisations, social innovation and health research in Europe. European Journal of Public Health 26 10.1093/eurpub/ckr152. Mark McCarthy. Who supports health research in Europe? Eur J Public Health 2010, 20: 3-5; doi:10.1093/eurpub/ckp222.
McCarthy M, Aitsi-Selmi A, Bánáti D, Frewer L, Hirani V, Lobstein T, McKenna B, Mulla Z, Rabozzi G, Sfetcu R, et al.Research for food and health in Europe: themes, needs and proposals. Health Research Policy & Systems, 2011, 9:37 2011
McCarthy M. Health research-Europe's future. The Lancet, 2011, 377: 1744-1745
Conceição, C and McCarthy, M (2011) Public health research systems in the European union. Health Research Policy and Systems, 9 38. 10.1186/1478-4505-9-38.
McCarthy M.European health research and globalisation: is the public-private balance right? Global Health 7:5 201
McCarthy M. Health and the European Structural Funds in the new member states. Eur J Public Health 11 Mar 2011 10.1093/eurpub/ckr011.
Page last modified on 27 nov 12 18:01