News and Events
Read all the
latest news within the Division of Psychology and
Read more about the PALS Swan Silver Award
Divisional Subject Pool
The Division has won the Silver Award for the UCL Green Impact scheme
The Division runs Continuing Professional Development courses.
Papers in peer-reviewed journals [J]
1. Baker, R. And Hazan, V (2011). DiapixUK: a task for the elicitation of spontaneous speech dialogs. Behavior Research Methods, 43 (3), 761-770.
2. Hazan, V. and Baker, R. (2011) Acoustic-phonetic characteristics of speech produced with communicative intent to counter adverse listening conditions. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 130 (4), 2139-2152.
Copyright (2011) Acoustical Society of America. This article may be downloaded for personal use only. Any other use requires prior permission of the author and the Acoustical Society of America.
3. Granlund, S., Hazan, V. and Baker R. (2012) An acoustic-phonetic comparison of the clear speaking styles of late Finnish-English bilinguals. Journal of Phonetics, 40 (3), 509-520.
4. Hazan, V. L., Grynpas, J., Baker, R. (2012). Is clear speech tailored to counter the effect of specific adverse listening conditions? Journal of the Acoustical Society of America - Electronic letters 132(5), EL371-EL377
Conference proceedings papers [P]
1. Baker, R., Hazan, V. (2010). LUCID: A corpus of spontaneous and read clear speech in British English. Proceedings of DiSS-LPSS Joint Workshop 2010, Tokyo, 25-26 September 2010 ( pp.3-6).
2. Hazan, V., Baker, R. (2010). Does reading clearly produce the same acoustic-phonetic modifications as spontaneous speech in a clear speaking style?. Proceedings of DiSS-LPSS Joint Workshop 2010, Tokyo, 25-26 September 2010 ( pp.7-10).
3. Hazan, V. and Baker, R. (2011) Is consonant perception linked to within-category dispersion or across-category distance? Proceedings of 17th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (ICPhS), Hong Kong, 17-21 August 2011, 838-842.
4. Grynpas, J., Baker, R., Hazan, V. (2011) Clear Speech strategies and speech perception in adverse listening conditions. Proceedings of 17th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (ICPhS), Hong Kong, 17-21 August 2011, 779-782.
5. Granlund, S., Baker, R., Hazan, V. (2011) Acoustic-phonetic characteristics of clear speech in bilinguals. Proceedings of 17th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (ICPhS), Hong Kong, 17-21 August 2011, 763-766.
Conference presentations and posters [C]
1. Baker, R. and Hazan, V. (2009). Acoustic-phonetic characteristics of naturally-elicited clear speech in British English. Poster presented at the 157th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Portland, Oregon 18-22 May 2009
2. Hazan, V. (2010). What can speaker-listener interaction tell us about speech perception in adverse conditions? Presentation at the Psycholinguistic Approaches to Speech Recognition in Adverse Conditions Workshop, Bristol 8-10 March 2010
3. Baker, R. and Hazan, V. (2010). Acoustic characteristics of clear speech produced in response to three different adverse listening conditions. Poster presented at the Psycholinguistic Approaches to Speech Recognition in Adverse Conditions Workshop, Bristol 8-10 March 2010
4. Baker, R. and Hazan, V. (2010). Spot the different speaking styles: Is 'elicited' clear speech reflective of clear speech produced with communicative intent? Poster presented at the British Association of Academic Phoneticians (BAAP) Colloquium 2010, London 29-31 March 2010
5. Baker, R. and Hazan, V. (2010) Clarifications in spontaneous speech under three different adverse communicative situations. Invited talk presented at the 2nd PanAmerican/Iberian Meeting on Acoustics, Cancun, Mexico, 15-19 November 2010.
6. Baker, R., Hazan, V. (2011) Do talkers clarify their speech according to the specific degraded listening conditions of their interlocutors? 3rd Workshop on Speech Intelligibility in Noise: Intelligibility and Quality, Lyon, 6-7 January 2011.
7. Hazan, V., Baker, R., Bradlow, A. (2011) Diapix: a method for the elicitation of spontaneous speech dialogs. Workshop on New Tools and Methods for Very-Large-Scale Phonetics Research (VSLP 2011). University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA, 28-21 January 2011.
8. Bradlow, A., Hazan, V., Kim, M., Pettinato, M. (2011) Interlocutor accommodation across communication barriers in naturalistic conversations. Nijmegen Spontaneous Speech Workshop, 12-13 December 2011, Nijmegen, Netherlands.
1. Diapix task demonstrated by Quentin Cooper on Radio 4's Material World (7 July 2011) - Interview with Valerie Hazan
2. Valerie Hazan in discussion with poet Lavinia Greenlaw in article by Stuart Jeffries for the Guardian: 'When two tribes meet: collaborations between artists and scientists' (Guardian, 21 August 2011)
3. Valerie Hazan interviewed at the University of Turku (Finland) about this work (October 2012)
Page last modified on 25 oct 12 22:25 by Valerie L Hazan