- Teaching Programmes
- Research Programmes
- Research Departments
- Clinical, Educational Health and Psychology
- Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences
- Developmental Science
- Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Language & Communication
- 1st UCL Graduate Conference in Linguistics
- LI Squibs
- Linguistics Careers
- How to find us
- Eye Tracker Lab
- Speech, Hearing and Phonetic Sciences
- UCL Interaction Centre
- Research Facilities
- News and Events
- Vacancies and Opportunities
- Contact Us
Principal Supervisor: Robyn Carston
Subsidary Supervisor: Paula Rubio-Fernandez
Philosophy of language, theoretical and experimental pragmatics, the architecture of pragmatic processing, theory of mind and metarepresentation, figurative uses of language.
- Understanding Metaphor: Ad Hoc Concepts and Imagined Worlds (Principal investigator: Robyn Carston, Co-investigator: Catherine Wearing, Post-Doctoral Researcher: Paula Rubio Fernandez ) Leverhulme Trust funding. 2011-2014.
Mazzarella, D., 2011. Contenuto Semantico. Costituenti inarticolati e sottoderminazione semantica (Semantic content. Unarticulated constituents and semantic underdetermination). Laurea Magistrale in Scienze Filosofiche, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy.
Mazzarella, D., 2009. Zebre e muli dipinti. Il problema delle scetticismo e le condizioni di chiusura della conoscenza (Zebras and Painted Mules. The Skeptical Problem and the Epistemic Closure Principle). Laurea Triennale in Filosofia, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy.
Associative and inferential approaches to pragmatics: The state of the art of experimental investigation. Methode – Analytic Perspectives, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 172 – 194 (Special Issues on ‘New Perspectives for the Philosophy of Cognitive Science’)
Presentations (invited*, referred**)
Mazzarella, D., ‘Optimal relevance’ as a pragmatic criterion: The role of epistemic vigilance, 3rd SIFA Graduate Conference “Language, Logic and Mind”, Cagliari, Italy, September 2013. [**]
Mazzarella, D., Do we need inferences in pragmatics? Challenges from a unified associative account of pragmatic processes, 4th International Conference on Utterance Interpretation and Cognitive Models, Brussels, Belgium, September 2013. [**]
Mazzarella, D., ‘Optimal relevance’ as a pragmatic criterion: The role of epistemic vigilance, UCL Linguistics PhD Day, London, UK, May 2013. [*]
Mazzarella, D., On-line pragmatic processing: associative vs. inferential approaches, 1st Genoa Workshop on Cognitive Linguistics, Genoa, Italy, December 2012. [*]
Mazzarella, D., Where accessibility-based approaches to pragmatics fall short, Arché/CSMN Graduate Conference, Oslo, Norway, November 2012. [**]
Mazzarella, D., Associative vs. Inferential Approaches to Pragmatics, 6th Interpreting for Relevance: Discourse and Translation, Warsaw, Poland, September 2012. [**]
- Organising Committee: 1st UCL Graduate Conference in Linguistics, London, UK, November 2013.
- Organising/Convening Pragmatics Reading group, UCL. (September 2012 – present).
- Teaching assistant - ‘Pragmatics and Cognition’ course at UCL- January 2013 - March 2013.
- Teaching assistant - ‘Pragmatic Theory’ course at UCL- October 2012-December 2012.