Years 12 and 13
Uni-Link is a long term project, aimed at students from groups which are usually under-represented in higher education. It is designed to offer support and guidance to students throughout Year 12 and 13 so that they are better prepared to apply to UCL and other competitive universities. The programme runs from February of Year 12 (2015) until March of Year 13 (2016).
This is an excellent opportunity to learn more about higher education and increase awareness of different degrees so that students can make an informed decision about university. Students are supported through the UCAS process and can attend personal statement clinics where they will receive one to one guidance on improving their application. The Uni-Link programme also allows students to improve essential academic skills such as academic writing, time management, presentation skills and revision techniques making sure they are well prepared for the transition from school or college to university.
Students will attend:
- Taster lectures in a variety of academic subjects to help explore a range of degree subjects
- Guidance sessions to improve their UCAS applications to UCL and other competitive universities and receive support with writing the UCAS personal statement
- Academic skills sessions to develop essential study skills for university such as independent research, academic writing and presentation skills
Students will also be supported by UCL student ambassadors throughout the Uni-Link programme.
Students should think carefully about making a commitment to the programme before applying to make sure they are able to fit Uni-Link activities into their schedule. Students who do not complete the required number of sessions will not be able to graduate from the Uni-Link scheme. The Uni-Link officer will be in regular contact with students via e mail and text.
The following are compulsory:
- Induction day
- Attendance at a minimum of two academic taster lectures
- Attendance at a minimum of two academic skills workshops
- Attendance on one UCL summer activity (students will be emailed about the opportunities that will be available to them)
- Close of programme celebration event
- Completing a Learning Journal and online assignments throughout the programme
How to apply
Entry to Uni-Link will be competitive and places are not guaranteed. To apply, students must complete an on-line application form.
Once application forms and references are received we will assess them as a group. We will offer places to students who meet several or all of the academic and demographic criteria listed below.
- Students who achieved a minimum of five A* or A grades at GCSE in any subjects, including a B or higher in GCSE Maths and English.
- Students who are predicted a minimum of ABB for their A levels and who are taking a fourth AS subject, or minimum 34 points for IB.
- Students who come from lower income backgrounds.
- Students who come from families with no history of higher education.
- Students who live in neighbourhoods with a low participation rate into higher education
Applications for the 2015/16 Uni-Link programme have now opened! The deadline for applications is Friday 16 January 2015. .