Information for Prospective Students
Explore UCL Year 11 Summer School
15-18 August 2017
The Explore UCL Summer School gives Year 11
pupils a real taste of university life through a four-day, three-night residential summer school held on
UCL’s main campus in central London.
The summer school will include a range of lectures and workshops in a variety of subjects to introduce you to the different teaching and learning methods used at university. You will work in small groups with other students from across the UK. Each group will have a current UCL student, Student Ambassadors, working as their group leader. Student Ambassadors will be on hand to answer any questions you have about studying at university and what London student life is really like.
The summer school runs from Tuesday 15 – Friday 18 August 2017. Students will need to travel to UCL on the morning of Tuesday 15 August and will reside at UCL Halls of Residences until the afternoon of Friday 18 August. The summer school will conclude with a celebration ceremony on the final day.
You can apply to take part on one of two subject strands:
- Strand A: Arts, Humanities and Social Science subjects
- Strand B: Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths subjects
Academic subject sessions will offer new perspectives on the subjects you already study at school as well as introducing you to new subjects you haven’t studied before. In addition to academic sessions, there will be advice and guidance workshops on topics such as study skills, personal statement writing and careers to help you prepare for university and beyond. In the evenings you will take part in social activities to introduce you to student life in London.
Who can apply?
There are 120 places on the programme for students who attend non-selective state schools in the UK, and who are identified by their teacher as highly able (expected to achieve five or more A or A*s/7-9 grades at GCSE).
We prioritise students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Will be the first generation in their family to attend university;
- Come from neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education;
- Are in, or have lived under local authority care;
- Have parents from non-professional occupations;
- Are currently eligible for free school meals;
- Are from an ethnic group which is currently underrepresented at UCL.
Our full criteria can be found at www.ucl.ac.uk/wp/eligibility
Please note: as Explore UCL Year 11 Summer School is residential, we will prioritise students who live outside of London
How to apply
First, talk to your teacher and parent/guardian(s) about
the programme(s) you would like to apply for, as you will need their support to
make your application.
All applications must be made via our online application form:
Applications open soon!
Before you apply:
- Ask your teacher for their work email address and telephone number, as we will contact your teacher for a reference. Your application is not complete until a Teacher reference is submitted.
- Ensure you provide the correct contact information for your parent/guardian(s). If you are successful we will contact your parent/guardian(s) via post and email for their permission.
Applications will be assessed on your background eligibility and academic ability, including your teacher’s reference. Places will only be awarded to students who can commit to all programme dates.
- Student application deadline: 5pm, Tuesday 2 May 2017
- Teacher reference deadline: 5pm, Tuesday 2 May 2017
Please note: we are unable to consider applications without an accompanying teacher reference.
We will contact all applicants by email with the decision by Friday 26 May 2017
Successful applicants will receive an enrolment pack and must return the enrolment form by Friday 9th June 2017
Please note: we always receive far more applications than we have places to offer, and it takes a long time to process them. Please be patient and wait for us to contact you by Friday 26 May.