Information for Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Prospectus
- Graduate Prospectus
- International Students
- Meet UCL
- Scholarships & Funding
- Widening Participation
- Register your interest
The UCL / City and Islington Sixth Form College Partnership
What is the UCL / City and Islington Sixth Form College Partnership?
UCL and City and Islington Sixth Form College have enjoyed close collaboration through a highly successful Partnership for Excellence since 2001.
This Partnership has been developed to stimulate collaboration in three key areas:
- Raising student aspiration and achievement
- Staff development
- Research into curriculum development, pedagogy and transition issues
It enhances what CIC can offer to sixth-form students and provides opportunities for research for UCL staff and skills development for UCL students.
This section of the Widening Participation site includes the following pages:
How do students benefit?
UCL departments have developed programmes of innovative subject-related activities, through which Sixth Form College students work directly with the students and academic staff of UCL. The list of departments involved grows every year.
Departments currently involved in the Partnership include:
The activities undertaken are developed in collaboration with teachers at UCL, and are designed to:
- Develop subject knowledge through lessons and master-classes by UCL staff on topics directly related to Sixth Form College students’ A level study, and through e-mentoring by undergraduate and graduate students;
- Introduce students to life and study at university through visits to UCL and contact with existing UCL students through shadowing programmes
- Support students through the applications process through visits to CIC by admissions tutors and UCL students
Through this contact, Sixth Form College students grow in confidence and gain a real insight into the challenges and opportunities with which they will be presented at university. UCL students benefit too from their involvement as mentors or Student Ambassadors.
More information about the Partnership and its development over the last four years can be found in the 2005 Partnership booklet Excellence and Inclusivity. Click here to download a copy.
For more details about any aspect of the Partnership, please contact Clare Goudy in the Vice-Provost’s Office at UCL.