The world-famous West End offers a huge variety of plays and musicals. There are open-air theatres and the BFI Southbank hosts over 2000 classic and contemporary films every year.
- cinemas abound, from the big names at Leicester Square and the Prince Charles cinema which is well-known for cheap screenings, to the Renoir for arthouse films and the BFI Southbank
- rock and pop venues include pubs and clubs in places like Camden and Shoreditch, gig circuit staples like the Roundhouse and O2 Academy Brixton and larger venues such as the O2 Arena and Wembley Stadium
- there are clubs for dancing, such as Fabric, Heaven and Cargo
- classical music and opera lovers can enjoy performances at the Royal Festival Hall, Royal Albert Hall, Kings Place, Barbican and Royal Opera House.
A selection of websites highlighting some of the entertainment venues London has to offer.
Sport and leisure
Play or watch your favourite sport? Spend your leisure time at a leisurely pace?
Whatever you love to do, London spoils you for choice. Why don't you try:
- Premier League football, cricket at the Oval or Lord's, rugby at Twickenham, the London Marathon (run every April), tennis at Wimbledon
- one of London's many green spaces, from local parks and gardens to world-famous sites including: Regent's Park, Hyde Park or Kew Gardens.