km) of London’s surface area is parkland, including eight Royal Parks
Campus and facilities
UCL’s Bloomsbury campus has various resources to make your studies
enjoyable and effective as well as enabling you to make the most of your
free time. All you need to fulfil your potential is here, right at the
heart of one of the world’s great capital cities.
have a range of study spaces available to you in the Cloisters, in our
libraries and in the UCL Students’ Union (UCLU). In addition, rooms in
UCL Student Residences are connected to the internet enabling you to
‘work from home’. We also have a choice of computer rooms, either open
access or linked to specific departments. Wi-fi is available in many
parts of UCL and IT training is provided.
more than two million books and subscriptions to more than 12,000
journals in a combination of electronic and print formats, UCL Library
Services gives you access to a vast range of resources across all
subject areas. We have 15 specialist libraries, with valuable and
historic material housed in Special Collections.
UCL Museums and Collections
well as being open to the public, UCL’s diverse museums and collections are often used as teaching resources.
UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE)
comprehensive centre offers courses for credit in Arabic, Dutch,
French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin and Spanish at up to seven
levels. English for Academic Purposes and Teaching English as a Foreign
Language (TEFL) courses are also available. We also run courses for
students planning to study and work abroad, courses for those who do not
meet UCL’s modern language requirement (see page 30) and in-sessional
English language courses for international students.
learn a language to enhance your studies, you can take an evening class
in one of 18 languages, though these are not credited to your degree
- a Self-Access Centre (SAC) with computer workstations connected to an online video library with more than 3,000 films and TV documentaries. SAC materials can also be accessed from home, via the SAC website;
- online language exercises;
- satellite television;
- a language laboratory;
- resource books, journals and newspapers.
- UCL Centre for Languages & International Education
UCL Bloomsbury Theatre
Bloomsbury Theatre, owned and run by UCL, is a professionally equipped
theatre with a seating capacity of over 500. It is reserved for student
performances for 12 weeks each year. For the remainder of the year, it
hosts professional performances ranging from stand-up comedy and drama
to dance and music.
DJ-ing with our own student radio station, Rare FM, to performing with
the Chamber Music Club or University College Opera, or joining one of
UCLU’s many music societies, we’ve something for every taste. Bookable
rehearsal rooms are available on campus and in some residences.
Bars, cafés and shops
runs three bars, four cafés, two shops and a hairdressers’ salon on
UCL’s Bloomsbury campus. Open throughout the day and into the night,
many have computers and Wi-fi access.
- UCL Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology – One of the world’s greatest collections of Egyptian and Sudanese archaeology
- UCL Grant Museum of Zoology – The only remaining university zoological museum in London, founded in 1828
- UCL Art Museum – More than 10,000 fine art objects, including prints and drawings by Old Master artists
- UCL Institute of Archaeology Collections – Fine teaching and reference collections, including prehistoric ceramics, stone artefacts, and Classical Greek and Roman ceramics
- UCL Geology Collections – Includes rock, mineral and fossil samples collected over the last 175 years
- UCL Ethnography Collections – An enormous variety of objects, textiles and artefacts from all over the world
- UCL Science and Galton Collections – Scientific apparatus, equipment and memorabilia belonging to various scientists, including Sir Francis Galton FRS (1822–1911)
Sport and leisure
you’re a team sports player, interested in keeping fit or just looking
for a chance to socialise and have fun, there are plenty of
opportunities at UCL.
- UCL Sports Grounds are located in Shenley in Hertfordshire and include full-size football pitches, rugby and lacrosse pitches, mini football pitches, cricket squares, all-weather netball and tennis courts, plus a pavilion. There is a free and convenient bus service on match days.
- Somers Town Sports Centre is located north of the Bloomsbury campus and provides basketball, badminton, volleyball and table tennis facilities.
- Astor College Sports Hall is located near the Bloomsbury campus, providing clubs and societies with space to engage in a range of indoor sports.
- Old Cranleighans in Surrey provides hockey pitches for our Men’s and Women’s Hockey Teams.
- Bloomsbury Fitness is UCLU’s very own health and fitness club, which includes a full complement of fitness equipment as well as squash courts and a dojo. www.uclu.org/bf
- The University of London Union houses a 33-metre swimming pool that’s right next door to our Bloomsbury campus.
- UCLU runs around 60 sports and dance clubs. These include everything you might expect as well as some activities you may not, such as Capoeira, Kickboxing, Water Polo, Dodgeball, Ice Hockey, Mountaineering and Urban Frisbee.
UCL is a secular institution and, while we recognise the rights of individuals to hold their own religious beliefs, we do not provide facilities for religious worship. Therefore, we have a space on the Bloomsbury campus set aside for private meditation and prayer.
Page last modified on 12 mar 14 10:55