UCL Advances is UCL’s centre for entrepreneurship and business interaction. It’s unique in the UK Higher Education sector and offers you a huge range of ways to learn about, start or grow a business.
At UCL Advances we support you through your entrepreneurial
journey, whether you want to learn about the fundamentals of business,
start your own venture or grow an existing one.
We aim to promote
interaction among researchers, businesses and industry, investors and
students. We support our entrepreneurially minded students by providing
training, business support services and funding.
UCL Advances can offer you:
- networking events, where you’ll have the chance to meet researchers, advisers and fellow entrepreneurs
- three-day Enterprise Boot Camps, run each summer, to introduce you to the fundamentals of the modern business world
- training that covers all aspects of how to start your own business, or helps prepare you to enter the job market
- the chance to spend eight weeks with a small to medium-sized enterprise gaining a first-hand look into how to run and start a business in London
- the opportunity to gain direct experience of small business consultancy by joining a student-led short-term consultancy project
- a two-week summer programme of workshops about business skills.
If you have an idea for your very own business but don’t
know how to get started, or if you’d like to grow your existing
business, UCL Advances can help in several ways:
- Our students have the chance to enter various competitions, including the London Entrepreneurs’ Challenge, one of the largest business plan competitions in the country, with over 400 students participating each year
- Our business advisers provide impartial, confidential advice and business support to UCL students and recent alumni looking to start or develop their business
- If you are starting your own business you will need somewhere to run it from. We can provide free office space in our Student Business Hatchery
- The UCL Bright Ideas Awards – established in 2008 to help new companies take their first steps into the market – offer a total of £50,000 in business loans to UCL student entrepreneurs
- U-Create is a fantastic opportunity that challenges students to combine creativity with enterprise. Working in small teams you will be challenged to design, make and sell products across London.
2012/13 was a fantastic year for UCL Advances, with success stories including:
- 201 students advised
- 64 student start-ups launched
- 2,494 student training places available
- 45,000 student learning hours delivered
UCL Enterprise Awards 2013
Thomas Piketty's popular theory that capitalism's current incarnation is leading to more inequality dsoesn't stack up, argues Professor Paul Ormerod (UCL Centre for Decision Making Uncertainty). Read: City AM
Published: Jul 9, 2014 9:49:49 AM
Dr Dimitrios Tsivrikos (UCL Psychology) comments on the psychological impact of favourable exchange rates on holiday spending, saying that "because we are convinced that everything is good value, without any real appreciation of what that means, we spend more than we would have before." Read: The Sunday Times (£) More...
Published: Jul 6, 2014 9:23:00 AM