International student applications

Competition for places on UCL degree programmes is strong, and you will be expected to have a qualification of a similar standard to a UK applicant.

  • The application procedure for international students is the same as that for UK/EU students.
  • Full details of how to apply are available from the Applying to UCL through UCAS page.
  • It is likely that the British Council office(s) in your country will have information about UCAS.

In addition to A levels and the International Baccalaureate we accept a range of international qualifications. You will find further details on the Country Information pages of the International Students section of this website. If qualifications in your home country do not meet this equivalence it is possible that you may meet our entry qualifications by successful completion of a foundation year – see the University Preparatory Certificate for Science and Engineering and University Preparatory Certificate for the Humanities websites for details.

If your education has not been conducted in the English language you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency. The UCL Centre for Languages & International Education offers a range of approved English language courses, including the one-year Diploma in English for Academic Purposes and shorter pre-sessional courses. Their website at gives details.

Members of UCL staff regularly attend events overseas to provide information and advice about studying at UCL. You can find out if we will be visiting your part of the world at:

Studying abroad and immigration information

Students wishing to study on an affiliate (study abroad) basis should refer to the information given in the Study Abroad Guide. A downloadable affiliate application form is also available from the Study Abroad Guide.

Advice regarding application for study at UCL on an exchange scheme (including Erasmus) may be obtained from the Study Abroad section.

If you wish to study in the UK for more than six months, and you come from a country outside of the EEA, you need to apply for a visa under Tier 4 of the UK’s Points-Based Immigration System. In order to do this, you will require sponsorship from a university licensed as a sponsor by the UK Border Agency, such as UCL. For more information visit:

As part of your visa application, you will have to be able to demonstrate evidence of sufficient funds to pass a maintenance test and of your educational qualifications and academic progression by providing proof of your results, for example, your school-leaving certificates. More information is available on the Border Agency website.

If you are intending to study in the UK for less than six months, you will officially need prior entry clearance only if you are a ‘Visa National’. However, we strongly advise all students from outside the EEA to seek prior entry clearance, even if coming for less than six months. The UK Border Agency gives more details on their website.

Page last modified on 07 may 14 09:49