Information for Prospective Students
Scholarships and Funding
CSC-UCL Joint Research Scholarship
|Important information for All Applicants|
Funding offered by UCL and the China Scholarships Council (CSC) aims to expand the educational, cultural and technological cooperation between the UK and China.
CSC and UCL will support the following areas of study with priority:
- up to 10 scholars per year in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences
- up to 10 scholars per year in the Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences
- up to five scholars per year in any subject area in accordance with the CSC’s priorities, including the Faculties of Engineering Sciences and Mathematical & Physical Sciences.
Students will be eligible to study disciplines in any of the above fields at UCL.
(1) Candidates will be citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application;
(2) Candidates must not be currently working abroad;
(3) Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies and/or research;
(4) Candidates must hold an unconditional offer letter from UCL. They must therefore fulfil the relevant academic entry requirements set by UCL, including a high level of English language proficiency;
(5) Candidates should be intending to pursue study/research in one of the priority academic areas identified by UCL and CSC. However, applicants to other study/research areas will also be considered;
(6) Candidates must have secured or submitted an application for fee funding for MPhil/PhD research at UCL (see Application Procedure below);
(7) Candidate should satisfy the selection criteria set out by CSC by
completing the CSC Application Form and the CSC
Employer Reference Form at http://apply.csc.edu.cn/
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit, and on the basis of CSC priorities.
Value: Benefits and Duration
The scholarships are co-funded by the CSC and UCL The CSC provides economy air travel to and from the UK, a living allowance (£13,200 in 2013/14) and visa application fees.
UCL will provide full tuition fees for the standard duration of a full-time MPhil/PhD programme.
Application Deadline and Procedure
Candidates must first apply for tuition fee funding from UCL before submitting an application to the CSC. Application instructions for each priority area are detailed below:
Faculty of Engineering Sciences
10 awards are available for students intending to pursue research within the Faculty of Engineering Sciences. You must apply for fee funding under the Faculty's Dean's Prize scheme in order to be considered. Deadline to apply is Friday, 31 January 2014.
Faculty of Mathematics & Physical Sciences
10 awards are available for students intending to pursue research within the Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences. You must apply for fee funding under the Faculty's Dean's Prize scheme in order to be considered. Deadline to apply is Friday, 31 January 2014.
Other subject areas
5 awards are available for students intending to pursue research in any subject area in accordance with the CSC’s
priorities, including the Faculties of Engineering Sciences and Mathematical
& Physical Sciences. Candidates must first apply for a tuition fee scholarship from UCL before submitting an application to the CSC. Full application instructions can be found on the ORS webpage. The deadline for applications is Friday, 17 January 2014.
Successful tuition fee funding recipients under all three priority areas will be notified of their funding by Friday, 7 March 2014. Recipients must then submit a separate application to the China Scholarship Council (CSC) between 20 March 2014 and 5 April 2014 for co-funding.
Notification of Results
Successful CSC applicants can expect to be notified in May.
Page last modified on 11 feb 14 09:22 by Shanaz Begum
*NOTE: All scholarship and student funding schemes are subject to availability of funds, and details given here are subject to change at any time. Potential applicants are urged to check information regularly to ensure they are aware of current procedures, deadlines etc.