Information for Prospective Students
SPDC Niger Delta Scholarship
All applicants are advised to read our essential information page before applying for a scholarship.
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) in collaboration with UCL is delighted to announce the fifth annual SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for applicants from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States. The objective of the scheme is to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from the three Niger Delta States to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
- apply to study one of the following programmes:
MSc in Chemical Process Engineering
MSc in Mechanical Engineering
MSc in Civil Engineering
- display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- meet the university’s language requirement (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS);
- be aged between 21-28 years by 30/09/2014;
- be an indigene of Rivers, Delta or Bayelsa States (documentary proof of this will be required);
- currently reside in Nigeria and have a valid Nigerian international passport valid to December, 2015;
- intend to return and take up permanent residence in Nigeria after completion of the proposed programme of study;
- have obtained a university degree of at least an equivalent standard to a upper second-class UK Bachelor's degree;
- be neither a current nor former employee of SPDC, the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies or Karamat Limited;
- not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria or Karamat Limited;
- not already have had the chance of studying in the UK or another developed country.
Value, benefit and duration of scholarship
The scholarship provides a maintenance stipend equal to the British Council rate, full tuition fee funding, a single return flight, arrival allowance and a thesis allowance (if required). Awards are tenable for one academic year and are only available for the taught postgraduate programmes listed above.
Application deadline and procedure
You must separately apply for admission to UCL for one of the eligible programmes through the standard admissions procedure. Priority for the scholarship will be given to those who have been given an offer of a place on an eligible programme by Friday, 24 January 2014
The closing date for application forms and any supporting documentation to reach UCL is Friday, 24 January 2014.
Selected candidates will then be invited to attend an interview with representatives of the sponsor in June.
For the academic year 2013/14 UCL can nominate up to three candidates.
For further information email email@example.com.
Page last modified on 12 nov 13 15:35 by Daniel Newcombe
*NOTE: All scholarship and student funding schemes are subject to availability of funds, and details given here are subject to change at any time. Potential applicants are urged to check information regularly to ensure they are aware of current procedures, deadlines etc.