Modes and duration
- Full-time: 3 years
Programme start date
Tuition Fees (2016/17)
- £25,140 (FT) £17,190 (PT)
- £42,650 (FT) £32,470 (PT)
All applicants must normally hold an approved dental qualification and have a minimum of two years' clinical experience post-qualification.
For further requirements please refer to the institute's Prosthodontics (Advanced Training) MClinDent page.
English Language Requirements
If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
The English language level for this programme is: Good
Further information can be found on our English language requirements page.
Country-specific information, including details of when UCL representatives are visiting your part of the world, can be obtained from the International Students website.
International applicants can find out the equivalent qualification for their country by selecting from the list below.
Select your country:
The programme offers practical experience in advanced conservation, fixed (conventionally prepared and resin-retained designs) and removable prosthodontics, and implant-supported prostheses for single missing teeth or partially edentulous cases, alongside an introduction to occlusal registration techniques and the range of diagnostic procedures required to ensure effective planning and design of oral reconstructions.
Students undertake modules to the value of 360 credits. All modules are compulsory.
In year one, students complete core modules to the value of (165 credits). In year two, students complete core modules to the value of (105 credits) and a dissertation (90 credits). In year three students complete clinical study (not credit bearing).
- Interdisciplinary Aspects of Restorative Treatment
- Principles of Treatment Core Course (Conservative Dentistry, Implant Dentistry, Prosthodontics)
- Fundamentals of Fixed and Implant Prosthodontics
- Fundamentals of Removable Prosthodontics
- Prosthodontic Treatment Planning and Functional Occlusion
- Prosthodontic Clinical and Laboratory Care 1
- Advanced Restorative Seminars - Clinical Log Book 1 and Case Reports 1
- Prosthodontic Operative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Advanced Fixed, Removable, Implant and Maxillofacial Prosthodontics
- Prosthodontic Clinical and Laboratory Care 2
- Prosthodontic Clinical Log Book and Case Reports 2
All students undertake an independent research project in year two which culminates in a dissertation of approximately 13,000–15,000 words.
Teaching and Learning
The programme is delivered through one-to-one clinical and laboratory instruction, seminar teaching, lectures, journal club, individual work including a research project, self-directed learning and problem based learning.
Scholarships relevant to this department are displayed below. For a comprehensive list of the funding opportunities available at UCL, including funding relevant to your nationality, please visit the Scholarships and Funding website.
This programme offers dental professionals the opportunity to extend their knowledge of fixed and removable prosthodontics in order to prepare them for a career in specialist practice, the hospital or community services, industrial dental practice or an academic career in the field.
Top career destinations for this degree
- Prosthodontist, Self-Employed (2011)
- Dentist, Plowman & Partners (2011)
- MRD Affiliate Postgrad Prosthodontics, UCL (2011)
- Lecturer, Universiti Teknologi Mara (2012)
- Dentist, Plowman & Partners (2011)
The majority of graduates completing the programme progress onto specialist lists in prosthodontics in the UK. Overseas graduates can apply to relevant specialist lists in prosthodontics.
Why study this degree at UCL?
The programme is intensive with a strong practical emphasis. Students benefit from first-class facilities which provide unique, seamless training in specialist dentistry, including practical classes in the operative technique laboratory.
Find out more about the programme on the institute's Prosthodontics (Advanced Training) MClinDent page.
Student / staff ratios › 63 staff including 6 postdocs › 390 taught students › 66 research students
Department: Eastman Dental Institute
Application and next steps
Students are advised to apply as early as possible due to competition for places. Those applying for scholarship funding (particularly overseas applicants) should take note of application deadlines.
Who can apply?
The programme is designed for applicants from outside the European Union needing to meet specialist training requirements. Applicants intending to seek specialist recognition in other countries, or who do not hold a dental qualification registerable in the UK, may find the MClinDent pathway more appropriate for their needs.
- All applicants
- 8 January 2016
For more information see our Applications page.Apply now
What are we looking for?When we assess your application we would like to learn:
- how your academic and professional background meets the demands of this programme
- why you want to study prosthodontics at graduate level
- what particularly attracts you to this programme at the EDI
- where you would like to go professionally with your degree and how this programme meets your needs