At UCL we're proud of our pioneering history, our distinguished present and our exciting future. UCL is a great place to be a student – here are some of the reasons why.
- 1st - we are the most productive research university in Europe, and highly cited (source: SIR Global Ranking).
- 1st - rated the best research university in London, and third best in the UK overall, by the UK government’s latest Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).
- 4th in the world (QS World University Rankings 2013/14).
- UCL has the best academic to student ratio in the UK – 1:10.1 compared to the national average of 1:17.8.
- 21 Nobel Prize winners – one per decade since the prize’s inauguration in 1901.
- UCL staff and students come from a total of 153 countries.
We attract the best and brightest staff and students
- 2nd highest number of professors in any UK university.
- 824 professors; the UK average is 105.
- 6th highest number of citations per academic staff number (source: QS).
- You’ll study with world-leading experts, and benefit from a programme of distinguished visitors and guest speakers.
- You’ll benefit from outstanding individual attention for your studies.
- Our wide-ranging expertise across all fields of study provides opportunities for groundbreaking interdisciplinary investigation.
- £868 million of funding income in total (2012/13).
- 1st - highest funding allocation from the UK Research Councils.
- 1st - highest number of EU research grants for healthcare research.
- 3rd - highest number of European Research Council (FP7) grants awarded to EU Higher Education institutions 2007–2013.
- 1st - largest allocation of Doctoral Training Centres of any UK university. See www.ucl.ac.uk/graduate/research.
- The Yale UCL Collaborative is a unique partnership, enabling UCL students and staff to spend a period of time undertaking research at Yale University.
- UCL's overseas campus in Doha, Qatar focuses on the cultural heritage and conservation of the region, while our campus in Adelaide, Australia is devoted to the energy and resources of the region.
- We conduct research in collaboration with international industry partners such as Cisco, Intel and Microsoft.
- Our academic partners span the globe, and include world-leading institutions such as NYU Wagner, Harvard, Stanford, the University of Peking, the University of Sydney and the University of Zurich.
- We attract speakers and guest lecturers from around the world.