Graduate Studies MPhil/PhD
Research areas:The Bartlett School of Graduate Studies (BSGS) is unique in the UK Built Environment field in holding two platform grants – awarded by ESPRC to 'world-leading' research groups. The platform grants individually support the two main research groupings within BSGS – 'Complex Built Environment Systems (CBES)' and 'Space'.
- The Complex Built Environment Systems group (CBES) is a dynamic team of academics working together to gain a deeper understanding of the physical performance of built environment choices and their implications for energy use, health, conservation, productivity and climate change. CBES is primarily interested in developing solutions to the practical problems of designing, constructing, and managing appropriate environments within and around buildings.
- The UCL Space Group is the international centre of the theory and methodology known as 'space syntax'. The Space Syntax Laboratory is the central hub of the research within the group. It studies the effects of spatial design on aspects of social, organisational and economic performance of buildings and urban areas. Its theoretical and methodological innovation intersects with a variety of disciplines, including anthropology, archaeology, geography, computer science, psychology, sociology, medicine, mathematical modelling and physics.
A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor’s degree from a UK university, or an overseas qualification of equivalent standard. A Master’s degree or equivalent is highly desirable.
English level expected: Standard
ApplicationResearch degrees may start at any time of the year, but typically start in September. Deadlines and start dates are usually dictated by funding arrangements so check with the department or academic unit (contact listed in Next steps, right) to see if you need to consider these in your application preparation. In most cases you should identify and contact potential supervisors before making your application. For more information see our How to apply page.
- UK/EU Full-time: £4,500
- UK/EU Part-time: £2,250
- Overseas Full-time: £16,200
- Overseas Part-time: £8,250
In addition to obtaining expertise in one of the built environment sciences, students on the MPhil/PhD programme acquire knowledge and techniques in a rich array of subjects such as statistics and spatial analysis that are relevant to a wide range of fields of endeavour. They also benefit from access to graduate courses, special training courses, research seminars and workshops offered by the department, the Bartlett and across UCL, including the Department of Geography, the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA), Development Planning Unit (DPU), Urban Lab and other relevant research institutes at UCL. Students who successfully complete a PhD at the Bartlett School of Graduate Studies have gone on to successful careers in academic teaching and research as well as consultancy, policy and architectural practice.
Top career destinations for this programme
- Beijing University of Technology, Lecturer, 2009
- UCL, Research Associate, 2011
- GIA Equation, Lighting Designer, 2011
- Georgia Tech, Lecturer, 2010
- ICT Research & Development, Partnership Director, 2010
The international reputation of the Bartlett School of Graduate Studies is reflected in the wide range of nationalities that form its student cohort. All programmes develop knowledge and skills that can enable students to develop successful careers in a wide range of fields from architecture, urban design and planning, to journalism, public policy, management and consultancy. For those wishing to pursue an academic career it provides a foundation for a PhD degree.
As a university-based endeavour, the Bartlett School of Graduate Studies is ready to embark on bold new ventures, whether by innovating ideas, engaging in enterprise or sharing knowledge. We work with practically-oriented organisations – such as conservation groups, governments, NGOs, companies, consultancies, developers and architectural practices – in order to tackle real-life problems and conditions.
Bartlett Graduate Faculty
T: +44 (0)20 3108 9018/9004/9002
Register your interest
Keep up to date with graduate news from UCL and receive personalised email alerts. Register your interest
Make an application
"There is a huge variety of different training courses that you can take at UCL to improve your research and personal skills."
Sonia Friere Trigo
Degree: Planning Studies PhD
Subject: Planning, Faculty: Built Environment
"Many events and seminars are organised by the UCL Energy Institute or the Bartlett School. They are usually delivered by eminent people in the sector (both from academy and industry). Students are always welcome and warmly encouraged to take part in the discussion and networking sessions."
Degree: Energy Demand Studies MRes
Subject: Energy Institute, Faculty: Built Environment