Information for Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Prospectus
- Graduate Prospectus
- International Students
- Meet UCL
- Scholarships and funding
- Widening Participation
- Register your interest
Eligibility and when to apply
Places are normally only available for full-time students registered at UCL requiring accommodation for a full academic year. Our policy is aimed at assisting new first-year students by offering places in student residences. In subsequent years of their programmes students are expected to find their own places using University of London Housing Services.
All single first-year undergraduate students entering UCL for the first time and requiring accommodation are guaranteed a place provided that:
- they apply for accommodation no later than 31 May of the year in which they intend to enter UCL, and;
- they have received and firmly accepted an offer of a place on a degree programme at UCL, conditional or unconditional, by 31 May of the year of entry, and;
- they have spent no previous period of time living in a residence associated with an institution of higher education located in the London area (i.e. within the M25 motorway).
Medical students taking an intercalated BSc at UCL as part of their MB BS degree programme at a different institution cannot be guaranteed a place in UCL residences.
Graduate students should note that accommodation is
provided for three terms. Those students whose programme continues for a
calendar year (12 months) will be given priority for a place during the
summer but a change of residence or room may be necessary and a
separate application must be made. Accommodation cannot be provided beyond mid-September, even if your programme extends beyond this date.
International graduate students
Single international first-year graduate students on full-time Master’s degree or Postgraduate Diploma programmes or undertaking research for the MPhil/PhD may apply for accommodation. Since accommodation is limited, preference is given to students who have neither studied nor lived previously in the London area (i.e. within the M25 motorway).
All such students who apply for single accommodation will receive an offer of accommodation before the start of the session provided that:
- they apply for accommodation no later than 30 June of the year in which they intend to enter UCL, and
- they have received and firmly accepted an offer of a place at UCL, conditional or unconditional, by 30 June of the year of entry, and
- they have spent no previous period of time attending an institution of higher education located in London (i.e. within the M25 motorway).
We endeavour to house international graduate students who do not meet these criteria but cannot guarantee a place in student residences.
UK and other EU graduate students
Graduate students from the UK/EU are strongly advised to seek private sector accommodation. No offer of accommodation will be made before the start of the first term to such students.
Accommodation for couples (married or in a civil partnership) and those with children
UCL accommodation for international students and partners
who are married or in a civil partnership is available at Bernard
Johnson House, Neil Sharp House and the University of London’s Lillian
Penson Hall and International Hall.
There is limited UCL accommodation available for students accompanied by children. Students with children are advised not to bring them to London until firm arrangements for accommodation are in place. Applicants requiring more information are advised to contact UCL Student Residences.
Full-time undergraduates attending UCL on Junior Year Abroad (JYA) or exchange programmes for a full session are considered equivalent to first-year undergraduate students for the purposes of allocating accommodation. Students intending to attend UCL for less than an entire session cannot be guaranteed a place in residence due to the limited number of spaces available.