Dr Colin Provost
Dr Colin Provost
Senior Lecturer in Public Policy
- Room: 3.06, 29/30 Tavistock Sq.
- Telephone: 020 7679 4903 (x24903)
- Email: email@example.com
Find out more
- Edited Book
- Refereed Journal Articles
- Book Chapters
- Other Publications
- Selected Works in Progress
On sabbatical leave for Term 1, 2016/2017.
Colin Provost joined the UCL School of Public Policy in January 2007. He received his PhD in political science from Stony Brook University in 2004 and prior to coming to UCL, he was a Prize Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at Nuffield College, Oxford University (2004-2007).
Dr Provost currently teaches Law and Regulation, Global Business Regulation, and Public Management: Theories and Innovations (with Dr. Christian Schuster) and he is Director of the MSc in Public Policy programme.
Dr Provost’s primary research interests are American state politics, judicial politics, organisational behaviour and government regulation, specifically consumer protection, financial regulation and environmental policy. In particular, his research has focused on the policy making decisions of American state attorneys general.
Dr Provost welcomes potential PhD students who are interested in researching government regulation, corporate social responsibility, public management and/or the intersection of law and politics.
- Provost, Colin and Paul Teske, eds. 2009. President George W. Bush’s Influence Over Bureaucracy and Policy: Extraordinary Times, Extraordinary Powers. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Gleason, Shane and Colin Provost. Forthcoming. “Representing the States before the U.S. Supreme Court: State Amicus Participation, the Policy Making Environment, and the Fourth Amendment.” Publius: the Journal of Federalism.
- Capelos, Tereza, Colin Provost, Maria Parouti, Julie Barnett, Jonathan Chenowith, Chris Fife-Schaw and Tanika Kelay. Forthcoming. “Ingredients of Institutional Reputations and Citizen Engagement with Regulators.” Regulation and Governance.
- Provost, Colin. Forthcoming. “Competition and Coordination in Bank Regulation: the Financial Crisis of 2007-09.” International Journal of Public Administration.
- Provost, Colin. 2014. “Antitrust Law and Distributive Politics in the American States.” Law and Policy 36 (October): 408-431.
- Gieve, Sir John and Colin Provost. 2012. “Ideas and Coordination in Policy Making: the Financial Crisis of 2007-09.” Governance 25 (January): 61-77.
- Provost, Colin. 2011. “When to Befriend the Court? Examining State Amici Curiae Participation before the U.S. Supreme Court.” State Politics and Policy Quarterly 11 (March): 4-27.
- Provost, Colin. 2010. “When is AG Short for Aspiring Governor? Ambition and Policy Making Dynamics in the Office of State Attorney General.” Publius: the Journal of Federalism 40 (Autumn): 597-616. (PDF).
- Provost, Colin. 2010. “An Integrated Model of State Attorney General Behavior in Multi-State Litigation.” State Politics and Policy Quarterly 10 (Spring): 1-24. Reprinted in State and Local Government, 2010-11 Edition, ed. Kevin B. Smith. Washington D.C.: Congressional Quarterly Press. (PDF).
- Provost, Colin. 2006. “The Politics of Consumer Protection: Explaining State Attorney General Participation in Multi-State Lawsuits.” Political Research Quarterly 59 (December): 609-618
- Provost, Colin. 2003. “State Attorneys General, Entrepreneurship, and Consumer Protection in the New Federalism.” Publius: The Journal of Federalism 33 (Spring): 37-53
- Huddy, Leonie, Stanley Feldman, Tereza Capelos and Colin Provost. 2002. “The Consequences of Terrorism: Disentangling the Effects of Personal and National Threat.” Political Psychology 23 (September): 485-511.
- Teske, Paul and Colin Provost. 2014. “State Regulatory Policy,” in Oxford Handbook of State and Local Government, ed. Donald Haider-Markel. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Provost, Colin. 2012. “Governance and Voluntary Regulation,” in Oxford Handbook of Governance, ed. David Levi-Faur. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Provost, Colin and Paul Teske. 2009. “Extraordinary Powers, Extraordinary Policies?” from President George W. Bush’s Influence Over Bureaucracy and Policy: Extraordinary Times, Extraordinary Powers, eds. Colin Provost and Paul Teske. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Provost, Colin, Brian Gerber and Mark Pickup. 2009. “Flying Under the Radar? Political Control and Bureaucratic Resistance in the Bush EPA,” from President George W. Bush’s Influence Over Bureaucracy and Policy: Extraordinary Times, Extraordinary Powers, eds. Colin Provost and Paul Teske. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Provost, Colin. 2009. “Evaluating Policy in the Bush II Presidency,“ from President George W. Bush’s Influence Over Bureaucracy and Policy: Extraordinary Times, Extraordinary Powers, eds. Colin Provost and Paul Teske. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Teske, Paul, Scott Graves and Colin Provost. 2004. “Legal Actors in the Regulatory Process,” from Regulation in the States by Paul Teske. Washington D.C.: Brookings Institution Press.
- Provost, Colin. 2011. “Bureaucracy” and “Deregulation”. International Encyclopedia of Political Science. Congressional Quarterly Press.
- Provost, Colin. 2009. Review of The Transformation of Citizenship in the European Union by Jo Shaw. Law and Politics Book Review, (May): 321-323.
- Provost, Colin. 2008. Review of The Intersection of Rights and Regulation, ed. Bronwen Morgan. Law and Politics Book Review, (September): 768-773.
- Provost, Colin. 2007. “Regulatory Negotiations.” In Encyclopedia of Governance, ed. Mark W. Bevir. Sage Publications, Inc.
Selected Works in Progress
- Gerber, Brian and Colin Provost. “Understanding Policy Change by Executive Order: Presidential Leadership, Bureaucratic Responsiveness and Environmental Justice”.
- Whitford, Andrew and Colin Provost. “The E.U. Eco-Management and Audit Scheme: Examining Variation in Firm Participation”.