Work Experience - 16-18 Year Olds
The Department Work Experience Programme for 16-18 year olds is outlined below.
- The application period for work experience in 2015 is 14th January - 13th March 2015. Applications must be received by 5pm on the closing date. Applications will not be accepted at any other time.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or over at the time of placement and preference will be given to those students currently studying AS Levels that include Physics and Maths.
- Placements are non-residential - applicants must be based in the UK and organise their own travel & accommodation.
- Applicants can only apply for a Research Group placement or the 'Hands On' Laboratory Experience, not both.
- Candidates will be informed as to whether their application has been successful by May 1st 2015.
- Please note that, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may not be able to contact unsuccessful applicants.
- The Department's Work Experience policy, including our selection criteria.
Research Group Placements
If you are interested in work experience in a research group, you should email your CV and a cover letter (outlining your experience, current studies, grades and/or predicted grades & which research group you have an interest in) to Claire Jordan. during the application period only. Please bear in mind that placements are in high demand, so email your application materials in plenty of time to avoid disappointment.
Please follow the links for information on the different research groups in the Department - the list of available placements in 2015 can be found here (Research Group Placements 2015 PDF to be uploaded soon).
These placements will be held during the summer period only and in some cases the dates of the placement have already been chosen. Please only apply for those placements that you will be available to attend, should your application be successful.
'Hands On' Laboratory Experience
The Department also organises an annual week-long Laboratory Experience for 16-18 year olds in the summer (usually July), for which places are limited.
Those interested in attending the Laboratory in 2015 should ensure that a current CV and covering letter (detailing your interest in Physics, current subjects studied, your GCSE grades/predicted grades and any relevant experience you may have) is submitted to Claire Jordan during the application period only.
This workshop is non-residential.
Work Experience - Nuffield Bursary Scheme
The Department also supports students who apply through the Nuffield Bursary Scheme for STEM students. Emma Newall is Regional Coordinator for London and Hampshire and Julie Cattermole is Regional Coordinator for Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire for this scheme.
Work Experience - Current Undergraduates
Undergraduate students who would like to find work experience in the Department should email Claire Jordan with your CV & an indication of the research area(s) you are interested in - the more you can target your application at a particular researcher and/or area of research, the better.
Please follow the link for information on the different research groups in the Department.