Work Experience - 16-18 Year Olds
The Department Work Experience Programme for 16-18 year olds is outlined below.
- The application period for Research Group Placements in 2013 is 14th January - 15th March 2013. Applications must be received by 5pm on the closing date. Applications will not be accepted at any other time.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or over at the time of placement and preference will be given to those students currently studying AS Levels that include Physics and Maths.
- Applicants should only apply for a Research Group placement or the 'Hands On' Laboratory Experience, not both.
- Candidates will be informed as to whether their application has been successful by April 19th 2013.
- Please note that, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may not be able to contact unsuccessful applicants.
- The Department's Work Experience policy, including our selection criteria.
Research Group Placements
If you are interested in work experience in a research group, you should email your CV and a cover letter (outlining your experience, current studies, grades and/or predicted grades & the research area you have an interest in) to Claire Jordan. during the application period only. Please bear in mind that placements are in high demand, so email your application materials in plenty of time to avoid disappointment.
These placements will be held during the summer period only.
'Hands On' Laboratory Experience
The Department also organises an annual week-long Laboratory Experience for 16-18 year olds in July, for which places are limited.
Due to a major refurbishment of the Undergraduate laboratories in the summer of 2013, we are regretfully unable to offer the 'Hands On' Lab Experience this year. We intend to resume the Lab Experience in 2014.
Work Experience - Nuffield Bursary Scheme
The Department also supports students who apply through the Nuffield Bursary Scheme for STEM students. Julie Cattermole is Regional Coordinator for Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire for this scheme.
Work Experience - Current Undergraduates
Undergraduate students who would like to find work experience in the Department should email Claire Jordan with your CV & an indication of the research area(s) you are interested in.
Please follow the link for information on the different research groups in the Department.