Summer Course in English Phonetics
How to apply
All course members must be at least eighteen years of age. The course is intended for both those whose mother tongue is not English as well as native speakers of English. Non-natives should and have a good working knowledge of English. You do not have to prove this to us, but the level we advise is IELTS 6.5 or higher, TOEFL (IBT) 92 or higher.
Applicants for the IPA examination strand must
already have a good knowledge of the subject, so as to have a
reasonable expectation of succeeding in the examination after two weeks
dedicated study. Before we accept you, we require you to take a 2.5 hour entrance test at home, without access to books or notes.
- You should attempt the test before applying and as early as possible (there is no charge for the test).
- Advice on the completion of the test (which always takes the form of an actual written paper from the IPA examination) is available on the IPA website at https://www.internationalphoneticassociation.org/content/ipa-exam and we recommend that you study this in detail before attempting the test.
- When you are ready to take the test, please obtain your copy of the current test paper by contacting Molly Bennett at M.Bennett@ucl.ac.uk who will send the paper to you. After we send you the test materials, you will have three weeks to complete and return the test.
- If your performance in the test indicates that you have a good chance of success in the examination after two weeks' tuition, we will accept you for the IPA examination strand. If not, we will invite you to join the main strand, in a practical group at an appropriate level.
- Prospective IPA Strand students are only permitted to complete one entrance test per year.