Address451b, 1-19 Torrington Place
Res Dept of Clinical, Educational & Health Psychology
Clinical, Edu & Hlth Psychology
Div of Psychology & Lang Sciences
- facial and behavioural expression of pain and emotion by people with chronic back pain (EPSRC grant with Nadia Berthouze, UCL; Maja Pantic, Imperial College; Paul Watson, Leicester University)- influences on observer judgements of pain
- patient experience of consultations in pain clinic, and change in understanding pain
- evaluation, including systematic review and meta-analysis, of cognitive and behavioural rehabilitation programmes for people with chronic pain
- misrepresentation of pain as 'medically unexplained'
- pain in survivors of torture
Doctor of Philosophy
|University of London|
Master of Science
|North East London Polytechnic|
Bachelor of Science
|University of Bristol|
BSc in Psychology from Bristol University, followed by experience working in drug addiction, then physical disability; MSc in clinical psychology from North East London Polytechnic (now UEL).
PhD in 1976 while working at St Thomas' Hospital in pain management; subsequently part-time senior lecturer at King's College medical school and part time clinical practice at St Thomas' Hospital.
2004 came to UCL as Reader in Clinical Health Psychology. I also work one session as a consultant clinical psychologist in the pain management centre of UCLH (at the National Hospital, Queen Square), and one day for the International Centre for Health and Human Rights (ICHHR).