- Save the Children launch website designed with CORU's help
- Attempts at surgical removal are of no benefit to asbestos cancer sufferers finds trial led by CORU's Tom Treasure
- CORU's work shows effects of selective citation on surgical practice
- Pandemic flu countermeasure work published in Vaccine
- Editorial praises CORU's simple risk stratification model
- Tom Treasure's talk is ranked among top three presentations
- The Ekjut trial in India is selected as Trial of the Year!
- Christos Vasilakis gives keynote lecture at Young OR 17 conference
- CORU informs national policy on pandemic flu
- CORU work examines the foundations of triage
- Christina Pagel gives invited talk at RCM conference
- Martin Utley gives invited talk at the MASHNET workshop
- Making sense of statistics
- UCL helps engineer to heal his own heart
- Christina Pagel has paper published in The Lancet
- Martin Utley promoted to professor
- Professor Tom Treasure attends NICE International conference
- Citation for Steve Gallivan
- NCEPOD report highlights concerns over chemotherapy
- CORU 25 year celebration
- Marfan aortic aneurysm: Golesworthy wins Healthcare Award
- CORU projections of skilled birth attendance rates in world's poorest regions published
- CORU's Skilled Birth Attendance paper is a BMC Highly Accessed paper!
- CORU's visual outcome monitoring tool (VLAD) goes global!
- Number of people living with cancer set to increase significantly
- CORU article highlights challenges in implementing modelling toolkits
- Health financing website receives positive feedback!
- Is surgery to remove secondary cancer always a good thing?
- Sonya Crowe awarded Improvement Science Fellowship by the Health Foundation!
- CORU work helps child heart teams get clearer picture of their results
- CORU's work with the Department of Health's health protection team continues
- UCL Partners successful in bid to host a new £9 million CLAHRC!
- Funding bid to understand complications following children's heart surgery successful!
- Editorial published in Heart discussing the benefits and risks of monitoring mortality
- Health research partnership launches to tackle major health challenges
- CORU's Tom Treasure discusses colorectal cancer in the BMJ
- UK death rates for children’s heart surgery have almost halved over past decade
- Prof. Steve Gallivan
- Improving risk adjustment in the PRAiS model - PRAiS2
- Martin Utley and Sonya Crowe win OR Society Goodeve Medal
- Christina Pagel wins prestigious Harkness Fellowship
- New parent-led website that opens up NHS children's heart surgery data to families launches
Making sense of statistics
19 May 2011
Christina Pagel from CORU is a contributor to a new guide aimed at journalists and the general public called "Making Sense of Statistics". The guide is published by the charity Sense about Science in collaboration with the Royal Statistical Society.
This short guide is not meant to be a lesson in statistics
but more a source of questions that people can ask, and common pitfalls
to avoid, to help in interpreting the numbers presented in the media and
elsewhere as 'fact'.
Back to home