One Day in the City: 13 June 2014
What to expect?
- More Yellow Balloons...
ONE DAY IN THE CITY IS A CELEBRATION OF LONDON AND LITERATURE
On 13 June 2104 UCL's English department (Ranked #1 in UK
for the 3rd year running) invites you to Gower Street to take your pick
from an exciting range of theatrical walks, talks, readings, art
exhibits and London-based conversations. Everyone is welcome. Just
follow the yellow balloons.
- Book yourself a metaphysical tour.
- Attend a public lecture given by leading London novelists. Our inaugural day in 2012 boasted A.S. Byatt, Alan Hollinghurst, Will Self and Iain Sinclair. This year's line-up is set to be equally as exciting.
- Sit in on an intimate seminar where Members of UCL English Department team up with authors, poets and public figures to offer in-a-nutshell talks on a range of topics related to London and literature.
- Gaze at Slade artwork as you wander amongst the yellow balloons.
- Listen to impromptu readings in the "condition fields" popping up around UCL's Bloomsbury Campus.
This year we want to build on the success of One Day in the City 2012, but we also want to offer something a little different. We will have an equally exciting line-up of authors, poets, public figures and academics contributing to the day, as we did in 2012. This year, though, there will be a unique opportunity for audiences to listen to and interact with our speakers in smaller, more intimate seminar spaces. There will be readings, panels, conversations and Q&A sessions in some of UCL's most striking lecture halls. That is guaranteed.
Gustave Tuck Lecture Theatre, UCL (also features in Inception)
- We are offering attendees another rather special opportunity. Members of UCL English Department (Ranked #1 in UK for the 3rd year running) are teaming up with authors, poets and public figures to offer introductory "in-a-nutshell" talks on a range of topics related to London and literature. These informative, accessible and engaging talks will be free and will offer attendees the chance to be inspired first-hand by passionate experts.
- We will be partnering up with UCL Art Museum again, this time in collaboration with Slade School of Fine Art. This collaboration challenges all current Slade students, as part of the theme "One Day", to develop their own practices while considering and appreciating what has gone before. Over one term students are given special access to thousands of remarkable artworks from UCL Art Museum’s collections. Their in-depth research leads to the discovery of a number of hidden treasures which they then produce a response to.
- We are thrilled that Mobile Studio will, once more, be creating pathways and pop-ups for the day.
- And very excited that Unclaimed Creatures will be taking us to new destinations, again, this year.