Neuroscience, Physiology & Pharmacology
Flagship PhD Programmes
UCL is a major centre for the training of young researchers in neuroscience. In the Department of Neuroscience, Physiology and Pharmacology, we run and/or participate in several flagship PhD programmes that have been set up and/or renewed in this area since 2001. These include:
- Wellcome Trust/MRC funded 4-year PhD Programme in Neuroscience (6 students/year)
- BBSRC London Interdisciplinary Biosciences PhD Consortium
- MRC funded cross-faculty 4-year PhD Programme in Biomedical and Life Sciences (3 students/year)
- LMCB MRC funded 4-year PhD programme in cellular/molecular biology (6 per year)
- MSc Neuroscience
- Research Council Industrial CASE studentships (tba/year) posted on our NPP Vacancies website
Lucy Bee Pharmacology PhD
"Having done my degree in the Pharmacology department and achieved a first, the opportunity to continue my time here doing a London Pain Consortium sponsored PhD was just too good to refuse. I feel a special affinity for the department that is largely due to the good experiences that I've had (the product of excellent teaching), the people and the science. It may be rare for a place to combine professionalism and quality research with warmth and fun, yet this department gets it spot on and I couldn't recommend it enough."
These programmes and other individual studentships bring the Department into three major research interfaces with Maths and Physical Sciences, with Clinical Sciences and with the MRC-Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology.
These programmes are supplemented within the Department by several very active series of student- and staff-led research seminars and courses.