Dr Margaret Mayston
Working in conjunction with the Institute of Child Health- Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Unit- to investigate changes in kinematics during development and in childhood disorders such as extreme prematurity and early brain damage.
Changes in motor control associated with development and pathologies such as stroke & cerebral palsy
Theoretical and practical teaching of human physiology over all years of the undergraduate programme, including NPP and the Medical School. Additional teaching on the MSc in Neuropsychology at ICH.
- Berthouze L, Mayston M (2011). Design and validation of surface-marker clusters for the quantification of joint rotations in general movements in early infancy.. J Biomech, 44(6), 1212 - 1215. doi:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2011.01.016
- Mayston MJ, Farmer SF, Hopkins C (2009). Changes in upper limb reaching synergies with human ageing.
- Mayston M (2008). Bobath Concept: Bobath @ 50: mid-life crisis- what of the future?. Physiotherapy Research International, 13(3), 131 - 136.
- Mayston MJ (2008). Physiotherapy for children: setting the scene for management of the child with neurological movement disorder. In Pountney T (Ed.), Physiotherapy for Children (pp. 61 - 72). : Elsevier.
- Mayston MJ (2008). Bobath Concept: a personal viewpoint. In Viebrock H, Forst B (Ed.), Therapiekonzepte in der physiotherapie: Bobath (pp. 216 - 228). : Thieme.
- Farmer SF, Gibbs J, Halliday DM, Harrison LM, James LM, Mayston MJ, Stephens JA (2007). Changes in EMG coherence between long and short thumb abductor muscles during human development.. The Journal of Physiology, 579(2), 389 - 402. doi:10.1113/jphysiol.2006.123174
- Jackson D, Mayston M, Alderson L, Brayley K, Main E (2007). Do ankle foot orthoses improve balance in children with spastic diplegia?.
- Mayston M (2006). Letter to the editor. Raine: A response. Physiotherapy Research International, 11(3), 183 - 186.
- Mayston M, Gelkop N, Beattie K (2006). The effects of treadmill training on fitness and function in children with cerebral palsy: preliminary study.
- Mayston MJ (2005). Editorial: Alles Gute fur den Start!.
- Mayston M (2005). Editorial: Evidence-based physical therapy for the management of children with cerebral palsy.
- Mayston MJ, Barron L, Harrison LM, Alexander CM, Farmer SF (2005). Use of dynamic lycra orthoses to maximise hand function in people recovering from stroke..
- Mayston MJ (2005). Is muscle strengthening necessary for people with cerebral palsy?.
- Mayston MJ (2004). Review of current named approaches to the management of CP. In Scrutton D, Mayston MJ (Ed.), Management of the Motor Disorders of CP (pp. - ). : Mac Keith Press.
- Farmer SF, Harrison LM, Mayston MJ, Parekh A, James LM, Stephens JA (2004). Abnormal cortex-muscle interactions in subjects with X-linked Kallmann's syndrome and mirror movements. Brain, 127(2), 385 - 397. doi:10.1093/brain/awh047
- Scrutton D, Damiano A, Mayston M (2004). Management of Movement Disorders of Children with Cerebral Palsy.
- Mayston MJ (2001). The Bobath Concept today. Synapse-Association of Chartered Physiotherapists Interested in Neurology, , 32 - 35.
- Mayston MJ (2001). People with cerebral palsy-effects of and perspectives for therapy. Neural Plasticity, 8(1), 51 - 69.
- Mayston MJ, Harrison LM, Stephens JA, Farmer SF (2001). Physiological tremor in human subjects with X-linked Kallmann's syndrome and mirror movements. The Journal of Physiology, 530(3), 551 - 563. doi:10.1111/j.1469-7793.2001.0551k.x
- Farmer SF, Harrison LM, Stephens JA, Mayston MJ (2001). Abnormal cortex-muscle coherence in subjects with mirror movements.
- Harrison LM, Mayston MJ, Johansson RS (2000). Reactive control of precision grip does not depend on fast transcortical reflex pathways in X-linked Kallmann subjects. The Journal of Physiology, 527, 641 - 652.
- Mayston MJ, Harrison LM, Stephens JA (1999). A neurophysiological study of mirror movements in adults and children. Annals of Neurology, 45, 583 - 594.
- Mayston MJ, Harrison LM, Stephens JA, Farmer SF (1999). Shared physiological tremor in patients with mirror movements.
- Mayston MJ, Harrison LM, Stephens JA (1999). Mechanisms underlying mirror movements: normal and pathological.
- Farmer SF, Sheean GL, Mayston MJ, Rothwell JC, Marsden CD, Conway BA, Halliday DM, Rosenberg JR, Stephens JA (1998). Abnormal motor unit synchronization of antagonist muscles underlies pathological co-contraction in upper limb dystonia. Brain, 121, 801 - 814.
- Mayston MJ, Harrison LM, Datta S, Stephens JA (1998). Co-contraction of antagonistic muscles of the upper limb during development and in children with cerebral palsy.
- Mayston M, Harrison LM, Quinton R, Stephens JA, Krams M, Bouloux P-MG (1997). Mirror movements in X-linked Kallmann's syndrome: 1. A neurophysiological study. Brain, 120, 1199 - 1216.
- Mayston MJ, Harrison LM, Quinton R, Stephens JA, Krams M, Bouloux PMG (1997). Mirror movements in X-linked Kallmann's syndrome .1. A neurophysiological study. Brain, 120, 1199 - 1216.
- Krams M, Quinton R, Mayston M, Harrison LM, Friston KJ, Dolan RJ, Bouloux P-MG, Stephens JA (1997). Mirror movements in X-linked Kallmann's syndrome: 2. A PET study. Brain, 120, 1217 - 1228.
- Krams M, Quinton R, Mayston MJ, Harrison LM, Dolan RJ, Bouloux P, Stephens JA, Frackowiak RSJ, Passingham RE (1997). Mirror movements in X-linked Kallmann's syndrome II. A PET study. Brain, 120, 1217 - 1228.
- Mayston M, Harrison LM, Stephens JA (1997). Effects of transcranial brain stimulation in patients with callosal agenesis.
- Davies JM, Mayston , M J, Newham DJ (1996). Electrical and mechanical output of the knee muscles during isometric and isokinetic activity in stroke and healthy adults.. Disability and Rehabilitation, 18(2), 83 - 90.