New online facility to register annual declarations: complete your return
18 July 2013
Conflicts of interest, be they perceived or real, can cause immense damage to organisations as well as individual reputations. One of the ways UCL seeks to avoid such conflicts arising is by requiring all staff to register interests that could be reasonably regarded as having the potential to conflict with their work at UCL.
The Declaration of Interest policy is designed to protect individual staff as much as the University. Staff in Finance and Business Affairs, with the assistance of colleagues in Human Resources, have developed a new online Declaration of Interest system to make it easier for staff to record all their declarations in one place in a quicker and more efficient way.
You can access the system here: www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/services/doir/live/
The system contains three sections:
1) General Declarations – all staff, Grade 6 and above
- This section is to register external activities and other transactions, as detailed in UCL’s Declaration of Interest policy at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/docs/conflicts_of_interest.php
- Activities should be registered as and when they occur, if you have interests to declare please login and register them as soon as you are able.
2) Consultancy – all academic staff
- This section is to register consultancy returns, which will allow individuals undertaking consultancy and their departments to more easily monitor consultancy activity, in accordance with UCL's Consultancy Guidelines (see https://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/research/general/consultancy_guidelines.htm - UCL login required).
- Further details will be forwarded to Heads of Department from the V-P (Enterprise) office.
3) Related Party - selected senior staff
- This section is to register transactions or relationships by staff, their close family or any entities in which they have a controlling interest with UCL or any of its subsidiaries or related entities.
- This is an annual exercise and is part of the annual external audit of UCL’s accounts (for further information see http://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/finance_docs/related-party.html.
- Further details have been forwarded to all relevant staff.
The deadline for 2012-13 Related Party declarations is 31 August 2013, all other declarations should be made for each financial year as soon as possible after the Year End (31 July).
Phil Harding, Director of Finance and Business Affairs