UCL Provost’s Teaching Awards 2011
29 July 2011
The winners of the UCL Provost’s Teaching Awards received their awards at a ceremony held on Monday 11 July.
These awards recognise and reward members of the UCL community who are making outstanding contributions to the learning experience and success of students.
This year ten Provost’s Teaching Awards were presented across four categories, reflecting the career stage of the recipients. Professor Malcolm Grant, UCL President and Provost, explained: “These teaching awards provide powerful public recognition for those whose performance has been leading, and in many cases inspirational.”
Dr Ben Hanson (UCL Mechanical Engineering) was one of the award winners. He said: “When I came to UCL as a new lecturer, I took a really inspiring course given by the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching which opened my eyes to theories of education and how they can be applied in practice. This is vital to ensure that any new technological teaching aids are exploited in the most effective way to improve the teaching and learning experience.”
Another winner, Dr Chris Blackman (UCL Chemistry), added: “As a learner I have always valued the input from teachers who can breakdown barriers to threshold understanding, and now as I teacher I find that helping a student grasp a concept that they have found challenging personally highly rewarding.”
The Provost’s Teaching Awards scheme is run by Professor Michael Worton, Vice–Provost (International) in collaboration with the UCL Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching and UCL HR Division.
The winners are listed below by category.
Beginning of Academic Career
- Dr Chris Blackman (UCL Chemistry)
- Dr Dominic Furniss (UCL Psychology and Language Services)
- Dr Ben Hanson (UCL Mechanical Engineering)
Experienced Academic Staff
- Mr Michael Ashby (UCL Speech Hearing and Phonetic Sciences)
- Dr Caroline Garaway (UCL Anthropology)
- Dr Sharon Morris (UCL Slade School)
- Dr Bill Sillar (UCL Institute of Archaeology)
Supporting Student Learning
- Dr Amanda Cain (UCL Structural and Moelcular Biology)
- Ms Cari Tuhey (UCL History)
Postgraduate Teaching Assistant
- Mr John Mitchinson (UCL School of European Languages, Culture and Society)
Image: Professor Malcolm Grant and Professor Michael Worton with the winners of UCL's 2011 Provost's Teaching Awards