UCL strengthens position in QS subject rankings
8 March 2017
UCL continues to perform strongly in the annual QS World University Rankings by Subject, with 10 subject areas ranked in the global top 10, and 4 areas in the top 5 worldwide.
UCL Institute of Education holds its position as the world number 1 in Education, with Archaeology, Architecture/Built Environment and Anatomy & Physiology all ranking in the top 5 globally, and Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy & Pharmacology, Psychology, Geography and Anthropology in the top 10.
Dentistry shows year on year growth (13, 8, 6) as does English (17, 16, 14).
The university features amongst the world’s leading institutions in 37 of the 46 subjects featured in this year’s rankings. In the 37 subjects in which UCL is active:
- 10 subjects are ranked in the world top 10
- 18 subjects are in the world top 20
- 2 subjects are 1st in the UK (Education/Architecture)
- 9 subjects are in the UK top 3
- 27 subjects are ranked in the UK top 5
- 11 subjects have gone up in ranking, including: English (14) Anatomy & Physiology (4) Dentistry (6) Anthropology (10) Law (12)
The worldwide ranking of 15 subjects has remained unchanged, including Education (1), Architecture (2) and Life Sciences (11).
Professor David Price, UCL Vice-Provost (Research), said: “While we take all league tables with a pinch of salt, we’re delighted to see UCL’s continued performance across a wide range of subjects recognised in the latest QS rankings. These results would not be possible without the hard work of colleagues across UCL, and are recognition of both the breadth of UCL’s expertise, and the excellence of each of UCL’s Schools.”
The QS World University Rankings, which rank universities overall, rather than at subject level, will be published later this year. In 2016, these rankings placed UCL at number 7 in the world.
- UCL subject profile: QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017 (PDF)
- UCL performance in league tables
- UCL performance in REF 2014
- QS World University Rankings by Subject
- UCL Institute of Education remains number one for Education in QS subject rankings
- UCL Front Quad and Portico (Credit: UCL Digital Media)