New Students


Register with a Doctor

We recommend that you register with a doctor as soon as possible after you arrive in London so that you can access healthcare more quickly if you become ill or injured.

The Ridgmount Practice is a National Health Service (NHS) practice. More information, including registration forms and the practice welcome letter, can be found on the Ridgmount Practice website. If you are a UCL student and live in a Hall of Residence please complete the online registration form.

UCL students living at the following postcodes may register with the practice by showing their UCL ID and confirmation of address:

  • EC1 EC2 EC3 EC4
  • N1 N4 N5 N6 N7 N8 N10 N11* N13 N15 N16 N17 N19 N22
  • NW1 NW3* NW5 NW6* NW8
  • SW1 SW3 SW5 SW7
  • WC1 WC2
  • W1 W2 W8* W9* W10* W11*

Not all streets in postcodes marked with * are eligible for registration. Please contact Ridgmount Practice directly to check: gpp@nhs.net or 020 7387 6306.

Opening times: Monday – Friday, 9.00 – 17.30.

Walk-in surgery – Same day appointments

Monday – Friday, 9.30 – 10.30 and 14.30 – 15.30

The walk-in-surgeries work on a first-come first-served basis. They are meant for brief consultations or recent illness. Patients who come during these times will be seen but you may have to wait.

Nurses’ walk-in surgery

Monday – Friday, 9.00 – 11.00 and 14.00 – 16.00.

Nurses can see patients for the following: coughs, colds, flu, urinary infections, or require stitch removal, dressings, smear tests, sexual health advice, repeat contraceptive prescriptions and emergency contraception.

If you do not live near UCL check the list of postcodes above before queuing to register at the Ridgmount Practice. You can choose to register with a practice closer to where you live if you prefer. You can find your nearest practice on the National Health Service website.

If you are an international student, please refer to the International Student Support website for further information about the health care provision available to you in the UK, especially if you are staying for a short period of time.

Meningitis C

When attending a University in the UK you are advised to be vaccinated against Meningitis C.