New students
blue banner 4

Immigration & Visas

- Key information for overseas students

If you are a student coming from outside the EEA (EU countries plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) or Switzerland who is intending to study in the UK for more than six months then you may need prior entry clearance to the UK. Please see the GOV.UK website for full details.

If you intend to study in the UK for less than six months, then you will only need prior entry clearance if you are a ‘Visa National’. Please see the GOV.UK website which will help you find out if you require a visa to study at UCL. However, we strongly advise all students to seek prior entry clearance even if coming for less than six months.

If you do require a visa to study at UCL we will provide you with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Study) which will be needed to support your visa application. When applying for a visa you will need to provide proof that you have sufficient funds to pay for both your first year of tuition fees (the amount will be shown on your CAS statement) and maintenance costs. In addition, you must provide original evidence of the educational qualifications upon which you gained entry to UCL. These will need to match the qualifications indicated by UCL in your CAS statement. For further and up to date information relating to the CAS, and visas, please visit the UCL International Students Support website.

You are strongly advised to visit the websites listed below to obtain information on both entry clearance and the documentation required to support your entry clearance application. Further information is also available from the British Embassy or High Commission in your own country. Please take the time to consult these sites before making your application.

Home Button