New students
blue banner 2


- all the most frequently asked questions


  • Do I need to pre-enrol?

Yes, all students should complete pre-enrolment before arriving at UCL to enrol. 

  • I've just accepted my offer. Can I pre-enrol straight away?

You may pre-enrol as soon as you receive an email advising you that the service is open. 

  • I'm having trouble logging in to Portico with my UCL user ID and password to complete pre-enrolment.

If you are having trouble logging in to Portico with your UCL user ID and password, you should contact the ISD Service Desk


Enrolment FAQs

  • Do you require a visa to enter or stay in the United Kingdom?

A visa is required only by students who are not from the UK or the EU and who need to have a visa to enter and live in the UK. Each country has different requirements. You can check the UK Visas and Immigration website or the International Students Support webpages in order to get more information. If you have any problems you can contact UCLU Rights & Advice Team who are qualified to provide immigration advice.

  • Do I need a visa to enrol at UCL?

If you require a visa to study in the UK, you must show your valid visa when you arrive at UCL to enrol. Generally, we would expect you to arrive with a valid Tier 4 (General) Student visa for the duration of your programme of study which has been associated with UCL's sponsor licence number. For students who are studying for less than six months with us, or if you are joining an English for Academic Purposes course at the UCL Centre for Languages and International Education (CLIE), we can accept a Short-term Study Visa. We will not be able to complete your registration at UCL without you providing us with proof of a valid visa, so it is extremely important that you obtain one as early as possible in order to avoid any delays in your enrolment process. Further information about visas is available on the International Students Support webpages.

  • Where and when do I enrol?

Please read through the information on our Enrolment page for the answer to your question.

Pay your Fees

  • How can I pay my fees?

Please read through the information on our Pay your Fees page for the answer to your question.

  • I am having problems paying my fees online.

All fees related enquiries should be directed to the Student Fees Office, located in Student Centre 2 (room G.01), Chadwick Building. The Student Fees Office is open 10am to 4pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and 11am to 5pm Wednesday, unless otherwise advertised. Alternatively, you can contact the Student Fees Team via email at

Get your ID

  • I've lost my new ID card!

If a card is lost or stolen during its period of validity the first replacement will be free but a £15 administration fee may be charged on any subsequent occasion where a replacement is requested for reasons other than card expiry. In such circumstances a voucher must be bought from the UCL shop and then be taken to Security Systems in the Andrew Huxley Building, where a new card will be issued. Further information can be found on the Security Systems website. The office is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 4.45pm. Please bring one form of personal identification (e.g. bank card, driving licence, etc.) You do not need to bring a photo. Security Systems will take your photograph before your card is issued.

  • Do I need to bring a photo for my ID card?

No – the picture is taken there and then by Security Services.

  • Does my ID card count as a NUS discount card?

Although your card does not have the NUS logo on it, it does work as a discount card in the majority of shops. To access further exclusive discounts, you can also buy an NUS Extra card from the NUS Extra website and then collect it from the UCLU reception in the 25 Gordon Street Union Building.

  • Can I use my ID card as proof of age or to get in to university club nights?

The UCL ID is not proof of age. Therefore you cannot use it to enter club nights, even if they are organised by UCLU. So make sure you always have some other proof of age (i.e. driving licence, national ID card, passport) with you.

Get Connected

  • How do I get my userid & password?

Please read through the information on our Get Connected page for the answer to your question.

  • Where can I find computers that I can use?

You can use this map of UCL Bloomsbury Campus cluster rooms.

  • Where can I get help with computer issues?

In most cases you will need to contact the ISD Service Desk.

  • How do I check my emails?

To check your emails you need to go to the live@ucl website and insert your userid and password. You can check your UCL email from any PC with access to the internet. Please see the ISD online guide for full information. 

  • Can I access my UCL desktop from home?

You can access your UCL Remote Desktop from any computer with internet access. Simply follow the link and log on with your UCL user ID and password. You need to have Java installed on your computer.

  • I need help with Moodle.

Please see the ISD online guide for Moodle.

  • Where can I find printers/scanners/photocopiers?

Please read through the information on our Explore the Library page for the answer to your question.

  • How can I top up my printing credit?

You can top up your credit online or in person with change in the DMS Watson Science Library.

  • I've forgotten my password.

For details about setting a new password, please visit the ISD password help page.

Log on to Portico

  • How do I access Portico?

Go to the UCL Portico login page and enter your UCL user ID and password.

  • I need to change my name on my student record.

Your student record holds all the details about you that UCL requires. You can edit certain details, such as your addresses, directly via Portico. The name held on your Student Record will always match what is on your passport, and cannot be changed without evidence of a legal document. If you change your name (by deed pole or by marriage) you will need to bring your original documents to the Student Centre to update your record. For all other enquiries about the personal details UCL holds for you, please visit the Student Centre, or contact Student Records at

  • Where do I update my addresses?

Student Records hold three addresses for you on their system - your home address, your contact address and your term time address. As they are each used for a slightly different purpose, it is important that they are constantly updated via your Portico account to avoid any miscommunication between you and UCL.

  • Home address: this is a record of your permanent home address, e.g. where your parents/guardians live. This can be an overseas address and will usually not need to be updated during your time at university.
  • Contact address: is the address UCL will use for all formal correspondence, (including your degree certificate at the end of your time here) and is therefore the most important address to keep up to date.
  • Term time address: this is the address which is your main residence during term time, usually in London. It is the address that will be printed on the letter UCL produces to prove student exemption from Council Tax. This is also the address that will be printed on the letter that UCL produces to help students open a bank account.

Registering with your Department

  • Is registering with the department the same thing as enrolment?

No, enrolment is a compulsory step to complete your registration at UCL. You are also required to register with your department. They will provide you with details before you arrive at UCL.

  • I am an affiliate student. Who do I register with?

Your Erasmus/Affiliate Tutor should be able to assist you with any problems you have once you arrive at UCL. You should have received correspondence from them prior to your arrival at UCL but if you haven't you should contact your Erasmus/Affiliate Tutor who is there to offer guidance and support during your time at UCL.

Select Modules

  • Where can I find more information on individual modules?

If you want to find out more about the content of individual modules please discuss this with your department.

  • Do I need to choose modules?

Many courses will offer students the opportunity to choose between different modules that they are interested in. However, some new students will find they do not need to make selections, as all their modules are mandatory. Please contact your department for further information.

Registering with the Police

  • Does everyone have to register with the Police?

You only have to register with the police if this is a requirement of your visa and must be completed within seven days of arrival in the UK. For further guidance please view the International Student Support website.

Register with a Doctor

  • What do I do if I need out of hours medical care or I have a medical emergency?

For critical medical assessment out of normal surgery hours you can still phone your doctor (GP) and you will be redirected to the out of hours service. Alternatively you can phone NHS 111, a free service run by the NHS to provide 24 hour advice. For more information, please visit the NHS 111 website. In a medical emergency, you should call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

  • Where can I  get access to sexual health services?

For details of sexual health services available on the NHS, please visit the NHS website.

  • Where is the nearest pharmacy?

You can use the NHS website to search your nearest pharmacy.

  • I'm an international student, am I eligible for NHS treatment?

International students should refer to the information on healthcare on the International Students website.

  • What medical checks do I have to pass in order to get into the UK?

Students from certain countries coming to study in the UK for longer than six months now require a certificate to show that they are free from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB).

  • What documents do I need to open a bank account?

For UK students:

  • Formal proof of ID (valid passport, drivers' licence, armed forces ID card)
  • Statement of Student Status (provided when you complete enrolment)
  • Proof of address (usually less than 3 months old)

Please note this is not a complete list; please contact the bank directly for confirmation of the required documentation.

For international students:

  • I need a new Statement of Student Status.

First you must ensure that your home, contact and term-time addresses are correct on your student record - you can update them using Portico. Then visit the Student Centre, located in the Chadwick Building, with your UCL student ID card and we can give you a student status letter. For UCL students who are not based on the UCL Gower Street campus you can email with your name, student number, and the address you would like the statement posted to.

Registering with Student Disability Services

  • Where can I find accessible IT equipment?

The Student Enabling IT (SEnIT) Suite is equipped with an up-to-date range of assistive software and technology and is designed for students with disabilities. It is located at ground floor level in room B10 in the Wilkins Building, Gower Street, near to the Print Room Café and the UCL Student Shop map reference D3). The room is wheelchair accessible from the lift at South Junction of the Wilkins Building or from the entrance to the UCL campus on Gordon Street next to the Bloomsbury Theatre.

The SEnIT Suite is open daily, 9.00am-8.00pm, including weekends and vacations. It is closed during public holidays and periods when UCL is closed.

For more information about this facility including how to gain access, please visit the Student Disability Services website.

Apply for Travel Discount

  • How do I apply for a Student Oyster Card?

You should complete your application online at Please see the Travel Discount page for full details.

  • Why was my application for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard rejected?

You must have enrolled as a full time student at UCL before you apply – if you apply before you have fully enrolled, you risk your application being rejected and losing your application fee. Your period of study must also be at least 14 weeks of study. Also make sure that your student number, your programme start date and the expected end date of your programme of study are correct on your application for an oyster card. Your student number is the number on the front of your UCL ID card. Your programme start date and the expected end date of your programme of study can be found on your offer letter. Any errors on your application for an oyster card can delay your application or lead to your application being rejected. Transport for London will confirm your eligibility for the photocard scheme directly with UCL. Part time students are not eligible for the 18+ Student Oyster photocard.

  • I am over 25 and I need somebody to sign my application form for a 16-25 student railcard.

If you are over 25 and you are a full time student you are still eligible for a 16-25 student railcard. You will need confirmation from UCL that you are an enrolled, full time student. Please bring your application along with your UCL student ID card to the Student Centre and somebody will be able to check, sign and stamp your application for you. If this is your first application for a 16-25 student railcard then you will also need to bring a passport photo which the staff in the Student Centre will also stamp and sign for you. We do not hold copies of the 16-25 Railcard application form in the Student Centre - please collect this form from any mainline train station (for example Euston).

Explore the Library

  • Which libraries can I access?

You can access any library at UCL. Additionally you can request to have a card to get into Senate House Library, The Wellcome Trust Library, the British Library and other London Universities Libraries as you are a UCL Student.

  • Can I access the library without my UCL ID card?

No, you always need your ID card to access UCL Libraries.


  • When will I hear whether I have been accepted?

We will make a final decision on your application when we have all the information we require regarding your examinations results and any other conditions that may have been specified on your offer. All conditions on your offer of admission must be met by 31 August 2016. This includes results awaited due to an appeal or re-mark and non-academic conditions.

If you have firmly accepted an unconditional offer from us, subject to any verification of qualifications, your admission is guaranteed and we are expecting you to enrol in September.

Any queries regarding your admission should be sent to the relevant Faculty Office.

  • Do I need to send UCL any information?

We receive A level, SQA, Irish Highers, CIE A levels and most International Baccalaureate examination results directly from UCAS. Please refer to the letter sent to you by the Faculty in June to ascertain whether you are required to forward any information on your qualifications to the appropriate Faculty Office.

Please keep UCL and UCAS updated about any change to your postal and email address.

  • I’ve got my results and met my conditional offer exactly.

If you have met the conditions as they are stated on your offer there is no need to contact UCL unless we have requested further information from you. UCAS will send you a letter confirming your place.

  • I’ve got my results but not met my conditional offer.

Check UCAS Track to ascertain the status of your application. Contact the Faculty Office if you have any queries.

  • Thinking about using UCAS Clearing or Adjustment?

UCL will not have any programmes in Clearing and will not have any vacancies available through Adjustment. If you have not secured a university place, you might wish to use Clearing to find an alternative programme elsewhere - please visit the UCAS website for more information.

Postgraduate Admissions

  • When will I hear whether I have been accepted?

If your offer was originally conditional then UCL will provide a revised unconditional offer once we receive acceptable evidence that you have met the conditions of your offer in full. If you have sent this evidence via email please wait at least ten working days before sending anything again. Once your offer status has become unconditional notification will appear on the applicant portal.

  • What do I need to send to UCL?

If you need to send evidence to meet the conditions of your offer please email an elctronic copy of either your final transcript (which should state your final grade and confirm the award of your qualification) or your degree certificate to You may also send documents in the post but these will not be returned so please do not send us your original degree certificate or an original transcript unless it is an additional copy you no longer require.

  • I am a current UCL student, do I need to send you my results?

No. Graduate Admissions will review your degree results once the qualification is awarded and amend your offer status accordingly. You will not need to send anything else regarding your degree results.

  • I've got my results but not met the conditions of my offer. What should I do?

Please send the results you have to Graduate Admissions. UCL will consider your case and confirm to you whether your offer of admission remains valid.

  • Do I need to bring my degree transcript or certificate to enrolment?

Yes. You may, on request, be required to present official certified evidence of your most recently awarded graduate qualification at your enrolment appointment and you are therefore required to ensure you bring one of the following as listed below. Failure to do so may mean your enrolment cannot be completed:

  1. An original, official final transcript which states clearly that your degree has been awarded. We cannot accept transcripts that do not confirm the date of award/graduation/conferral. If your transcript does not contain this information you must provide another acceptable form of evidence;
  2. Your original degree certificate or a certified copy of your degree certificate. Certification consists of an original signature and stamp confirming that the copy is in accordance with the original. Certification can be given by an appropriate official of the awarding institution, a solicitor or notary, or a certified translator;
  3. If you have graduated from a Chinese institution, in addition to the original or certified copy of your degree certificate you are also required to present a certified copy of your Graduation Certificate and transcript;

Please note that if your most recently awarded graduate qualification was awarded by UCL, this verification will be completed on your behalf by Graduate Admissions and you will not be required to provide evidence at enrolment.

Home Button