New students
blue banner 1

University Living

- Practical advice for students

Accommodation advice

Information and advice about university managed accommodation can be found on the Student Accommodation page of the Prospective Students website. The University of London Housing Service also offers advice and support to UCL students seeking accommodation in the private sector. The UCL Rights and Advice Centre can help you resolve disputes or grievances should they arise during your tenancy. 


You are strongly advised to arrange your student bank account before or immediately after arriving at UCL. Further information about the documents you may need can be found on our Opening a Bank Account page.

Council tax

If you live in university halls, or in a house where everyone is classed as a full time student for Council Tax purposes, you’ll be exempt from paying Council Tax. The rules are different if you live with someone who’s not a full time student – but your household could still get a discount. For more information please visit the GOV.UK website

Fees and Funding

Full information about student fees and funding for the 2016/17 session can be found on the Student Fees website.

There are also a number of resources on the Money page of the current students website and on the UCL Students Union website.


Students are strongly advised to insure their personal possessions, regardless of where they will be living whilst attending university. There are many different companies which provide insurance for students - for general advice and guidance on insurance please visit the Money Advice Service website.

Other money matters

You must ensure that you have sufficient funds to cover all your expenses whilst you are studying at UCL. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to cover the basic costs such as accommodation, food and personal expenses. The UCL Financial Advice and Support website has lots of useful information including helpful money saving tips and hints as well as advice if you do find yourself in financial difficulty. The Money Advice Service website also gives helpful tips on how to manage your money, including a useful budget planner tool.

Surviving in London on a limited budget is easier than you might think, and there are student reductions for local travel and many social, cultural and leisure events - don't be afraid to ask. 

The key to success is to learn how to budget. You may like to use a budget calculator such as to help you to plan your finances.

Full time students are eligible for the Transport for London travel discount scheme - please see our Travel Information page for more details.

TV licensing

A TV licence is required to watch or record live television in the UK, even if you are watching on computer or mobile device. Please check the TV licensing website for more details.

Working while you study

If you're a student and you have a job, you'll have to pay Income Tax and National Insurance if you earn over a certain amount. This still applies if you work abroad during your holidays, and if you're a foreign student working in the UK. For full information on working while you study, please the website.

Home Button